1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Weycraze, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

At what point in a video's file type (avi,mpeg,vob), is it best or easiest to change the aspect ratio?

I'm assuming it can be changed just about anywhere with the right software.

Are there any benefits to converting the aspect at a given point between file converting? Say to make it easier to convert up to DvD or from Dvd down to Mpeg?

thanks, Weycraze...

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

AVI Files do not have an Aspect Ratio Flag Like Mpeg/Vob files do because AVI files use Square Pixels so they are Displayed useing there Resolution and Not there aspect ratio....

Your DVD Player uses the Aspect ratio to display Video and Ignores the Resolution accept for knowing How many Pixels to display that Is Why the Half D1 resolution (352+480) looks Tall and Skinny when Viewed useing Media Player but on your TV set it Looks Normal,This is because the DVD Player Looks at the Aspect ratio Flag and how many Pixels there are and then Displays the Video useing this Information....

So Basicly the Only time you Can add an aspect ratio Flag is when encodeing your File to Mpeg-1/2...
    (As you probably Know Mpeg-2 and Vob are the Same Format accept that VOB files have Different Header Information and the Time Code and Chapter Information is Stored in the IFO/Bup files instead of the Header like with other Formats)

I hope this Info helps....Cheers

3. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

Damn right that helps mate,

I'll find some wares to help accomplish this task. Funny you mention those flags, I read that on videohelp.com somewhere.

Thank-you very much,Minion.

Weycraze