1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing bitrates in DVD2SVCD (CCE)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gort9k, Aug 18, 2003.

1. gort9k

gort9k Member

Hi:
    I've been trying to change the bitrate settings in DVD2SVCD, but it seems that I can not accomplish that task.

What I want to do is to encode a DVD movie (ripped with DVD Decrypter) as CVD. In the encoder tab I've selected CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder), as I understand it is better and faster when encoding CVD as well as SVCD.

The point is that I want to set minimun bitrate as 1300 and maximun at 2520, with an average of 2350. So I go to the frameserver tab and play a bit with movie lenght and CD size, but DVD2SVCD always load a predetermined template that set the minimun bitrate in 300. So I've got a lot of blocky backgrounds. So far I am getting better results (quality wise) encoding in VCD than in CVD.

Does anybody knows an easy a proven way to change bitrate?

Thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

hmmj well the 300 is not the problem at all mate because, the average birate is what really matters!

Im not too familiar with CVD however, is it actually MPEG-1? I know the framesize is different but thats all I know on it!

3. gort9k

gort9k Member

Thanks, dela, for your reply.

I must be the thickest guy in the forum. It was right in front of my face. In the bitrate tab at the botton of it there are fields to assign minimun, maximun and average bitrate.

As for the 300 minimum... I'd say, dela, that it matters. Encoding with that minimum bitrate (CVD, at least) gives some blocky scenes; after rising minimum to 1300 the blockiness dissapeared.

A downside of rising bitrate is that it also makes longer the encoding time. It went from 3 hours and a half (average) up to seven hours (P VI 2K, 512 DDR, and plenty of free gigs. in my hard disk)

4. Dela

lol good for u dude!

5. coreydj

coreydj Member

where can i find cce? i want to try backup with dvd2scd

6. Dela

hmm i dunno if u can get a demo here, but u might be able to get one at cinemacraft.com i think it is!

7. memcco

memcco Regular member

i create cvd's all the time...usually can fit 3 movies on 1 dvd with superior quality. i use the default settings and use tmpge instead...slower but better quality, imho. if you do choose cvd don't forget to uncheck convert to 44100 in audio....cvd is mpeg 2, 48hz, 352x480....very nice quality. i watch 'em on a 42 inch sony, vega, hd, plasma widescreen tv....they are terrific.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  8. coreydj

coreydj Member

the cce i have leaves a logo on the bottom right of the screen and it's distracting at times. i want to purchase it or get it some how.

9. Dela

Yep you'll have to purchase it, I would start with auctions if i were u! lol

10. memcco

memcco Regular member

use TMPGEnc it's free, a little slower, but better quality imho. why spend all that money?

11. coreydj

coreydj Member

how do u use Tmpgenc. yes i'm stupid. i want to know which guide to use. i want to backup on dvd..........or what forum do i find this in....could not find any

12. Dela

TMPGEnc has quality no where near CCE SP!

13. memcco

memcco Regular member

you are entitled to your opinion

14. Dela

Oh i know nd so are you mate :) Dont get me wrong, I love TMPGEnc but CCE SP just does knock it out where quality is concerned for MPEG-2! not to mention you could encode at 4 pass encoding with CCE SP in the time it would take 2 pass in TMPGEnc. From 1000's of encodings i have made, for SVCD CCE SP has proven itself the best to me! However, for MPEG-1 encoding TMPGEnc is much better!