1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing distros

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by nghtpnshr, Apr 8, 2007.

1. nghtpnshr

nghtpnshr Regular member

ok im going to change to debian it has 21 cds do i really need all 21?
    or can i just dl a few like 2-5 of them ?
    i dont like suse and i belive that debian will work better seeing as how knoppix finds my grafix card just fine i think ill just try a diff distro

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  2. nghtpnshr

nghtpnshr Regular member

ok nvm i found a netinstall cd :) ty n-e ways

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

nghtpnshr, you (very clearly) don't know zilch about Linux, but you "don't like" Suse? You change distros like a kid getting bored with toys. Are you sure it isn't just the color of the start button in KDE that you don't like?

Linux is NOT Windows! It is totally different, most notably in philosophy. Windows does everything for you, and hides the workings by wrapping it up in secrecy. Linux allows you to anything you want, but you have to know how to do it. Everything is open, nothing is hidden, and the information is out there.

Thw way you are NOT going to get far with Linux is if you go posting on forums about how to do every tiny little thing. It is not an OS for those who cannot be @ssed to find anything out. It is OS for those who really want to find things out for themselves.

If you aren't one of those people, stick with Windows, is my advice.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Nicely put..

I personally don't like suse because I'm not keen on certain aspects of the kernel, and I really don't like kde.

That said I think for a first time install and run freesuse 10.2 is one of the best. It seems to work and support most modern hardware. Good selection of applications.. Bit bloated, but then again not much need to start instantly installing anything.