1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHANGING DVD DRIVE ???

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by acidy, Apr 3, 2007.

1. acidy

acidy Regular member

See i want to change my DVD Drive from Thompson drive to Samsung drive.
    I just wanted to know whether changing the DVD Drive of xbox is like my PC ???

2. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

It's not. The drive is tied to your mother board and won't accept any other drive. So what you'd have to do is chip your xbox and then change the drive.

3. acidy

acidy Regular member

Wait. I have a mod-chip already. An Aladdin 64. But the Xbox Hard-drive can be changed like how we change a PC's Hard-drive rite ???

4. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

If you wanna change the hard-drive, you'd have to lock it to the xbox. I don't know the exact process, because I don't mod original xboxes, but I think you have to copy some files on it first (from the original HD) and then lock it, I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  5. pl3378

pl3378 Member

this guy wants to change his DVD drive not his hard drive, you ARE able to swap DVD drives with no problems, its just like on a pc, its not tied to the motherboard unlike the hard drive.

6. acidy

acidy Regular member

Oh thanx.............. Hey how much will 1 samsung DVD drive cost for????
    By the way I even want to change my hard-drive. Is it same like the PC????
    I am gonna upgrade my PC within a few days and so my current hard-drive will be just kept aside. So can I put my current PC hard-drive to my xbox ???? Is putting the xbox hard-drive like the PC ????

7. pl3378

pl3378 Member

8. acidy

acidy Regular member

Thanx alot for your help man..............

9. acidy

acidy Regular member

Hey but wait I have a "modded xbox" with a mod-chip. Its an aladdin 64 and I like it.
    So do I have to follow this same process even though I have a mod-chipped xbox ???

10. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

no you will not have to follow the same steps. the only thing the same is to ftp over your c and e folders. now what you want to do is download, AID 3.0(Auto Installer Deluxe 3.0)modify what you need, then burn iso to dvd-r. then you will open the xbox replace the hdd with the new hdd, and then put the aid 3.0 in the dvd-rom and start the xbox, it will auto detect the new hdd and then ask you to format. follow on screen instructions, when complete you will be in the aid main menu. just click install dashbaord(i prefer evox), install where you choose(c or e) and then go back to the first menu of aid, and click launch dashboard(choose same drive you chose to install to)it will launch dashboard, now you can ftp your c and e folders(on your pc) overtop of your current c and e folders(that way it is the same as before) and reboot, then your all done.

11. acidy

acidy Regular member

So is putting a new HDD the same way as putting a new HDD to a PC ???

Well, See I have already made a backup of my xbox files and also, I have the "Slayer's EvoX Auto Installer" on a DVD-R and my xbox even reads it.
    I was thinking that if I am successful to put the new HDD, then if I use the Slayer's disk instead of AID 3.0 disk, will it be fine ???

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  12. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

are you running a softmod and it reads the disc? or do you have a hardmod and it reads. installing a new hdd is not like a installing a pc hdd, and it is also different if you have a softmod and a hardmod. so we need to know what you have soft or hard

13. acidy

acidy Regular member

Please read above as I have said this many time. (Not being rude or so)
    See I have a mod-chipped xbox with aladdin 64 as the mod-chip !!!
    I have flashed the "EvoX M8 Plus" on it too............

14. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

sorry about that. yes if it reads the disc, and you have evox m8 bios, then just opne your console swap old hdd with new hdd, and run the slayers disc. it should automatically detect the virgin hdd and just have it set it up for you. i have never used slayers so i cannot give detailed instructions what to do so, sorry, but it should be pretty straight forward.

15. acidy

acidy Regular member

Ya !!! Thanx !!!

16. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

how did everyting go with the hd install??

17. acidy

acidy Regular member

Wait for 1 to 2 weeks b'cuz I am going to change my PC HDD and install my current PC HDD to my xbox.
    It is a "VIA technology" 80 GB HDD, does my xbox support it ???
    I have a v1.0 xbox with Aladdin 64 mod-chip and EvoX M8 plus bios flashed on it...........

18. handsom

handsom Regular member

Your chip shouldn't have any problems. Chipped units are much more accepting of alternate drives, they can even lock the drive to your eeprom for you in case the chip is removed.