1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing fan on cpu cooler?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by unsure, Oct 17, 2004.

1. unsure

unsure Member

hi im wandering if i can change the fan on my cpu cooler(sumvision)the present one is making some weird noises(although it still spins@3500&the temp is still stable)theres only 4 screws holding it in the heatsink&it has the 3pin mb connector.thinking of replacing it with a same sized(60mm)papst case fan which also has a 3pin mb connector.im worried i might fry it all or the heatsink gets so hot that it burns the casing on the replacement. the spec on the current fan is 17cfm@34db(from sumvision website)& the papst is 24cfm@27db.any advise would be appericiated. thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as it is the same physical size, you'll be alright. the pinouts are the same as you have power, ground & speed sensor. that groaning noise you were hearing is caused by lack of lubrication in the fan shaft. you could relubricate if you want by removing carefully the label on the fan casing not off the fan, there might be a plug or there might not be one that covers the end of the fan shaft. put a couple off drops of 3in1 oil were you see the exposed end off the shaft, rotate & push in & out slightly the fan to work the oil in the bearing. replace the plug, wipe off all excess oil off casing & put back label. i do this all the time whether case, cpu or powersupply fans

3. unsure

unsure Member

thanks ddp.oiled it&the noise has gone.luckily i diddnt waste money on a new one. thanks again

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good, but don't use wd40 & make certain no oil is on where label goes onto or label will come off