1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing from 1080i to 720p

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Airek, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Airek

Airek Member

How?

Is it a TV setting, or a cable box setting?

I've read the differences between both, and it seems 720p is better for action/movement, while 1080i is better for still pictures. Does this information seem accurate?

Input?

Airek

2. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

Let me ask ... what kind of TV do you have? 720p is a better all around but in some cases 1080i is better.
    Do you have sat or csble... over the air?

3. Airek

Airek Member

4. DConrad06

DConrad06 Guest

Well to answer your question,the stations (HBO,SHO,TNT,ESPN,NBC,CBS)picks the resolution to broadcast from.The Premium channels like HBO choose to broadcast in 1080i,while your local channels pick different formats to broadcast in.FOX uses 720p,CBS-1080i,ABC-720p.Most of the time you cannot tell the difference between the several broadcasters until the sports presentations.Fast moving sports such as football,racing,basketball looks better in 720p.

Just the other night,when the NBA season kicked off the other night,TNT's 1080i feed of the games to me was not all that great,but the next night on ESPN's 720p feed of the games was crisp and almost like you were at the game.But basiclly your Sony can display all the High-Definition formats that are available.I am a technician for Comcast and right now Comcast offers the most HD for any cable company with next year's promise of a total of 35 HD channels coming!Make sure you are using the HDMI connection depending on what kind of set top box you are using.Comcast's HD set top box only has a DVI and componet analog connection-being the DVI connection is better than componet,newer dual-tuner DVR's have HDMI and componet analog connections,being the HDMI connection is better than componet and passes video and audio through one cable.Peace!

Conrad

5. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

OK... for that set you want to kkep the box in 720p... you match the native progressive resolution of the set.
    Call comcast and ask them how to change the resolution to 720p on the box. I don't have cable.

6. Rob423

Rob423 Member

I have a Comcast Box with a Panasonic HDTV...

i can't compain everything looks great. INHD2 or INHD always broadcasts in 1080i i believe...

ESPN-HD looks amazing as well.

But i never changed my box settings. Because i don't know how to activate the menu.

Any Clue?

7. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

I don't have cable, your best is call the cable company they will run you through it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

I have cable from Comcast and a Motorola DCT 6412 HD DVR. To change HD resolutions on the 64** series:

1. Turn your cable box OFF
    2. Press MENU on the front panel of the cable box.
    3. Set your TV Type to 16:9 (Use the cursor buttons on the remote or on the front panel to choose)
    4. Set your DVI/YPbPr Output to 720p or 1080i

If you have a different model cable box let us know.

9. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I've got a Motorola Comcast box, not DVR (not sure what model). To activate the menu: T.V. is On, cable box is off, on the remote quickly press Menu, down cursor, right cursor. It may take a couple of tries but you should get a menu on your t.v. screen that lets you change output resolution. You can even change SD resolution to 480p, which I feel is a big improvement.

10. Rob423

Rob423 Member

sorry it took me awhile to reply back.

i found this post and figured i would reply back. On my cable box, all i had to do was while the box was off.. just click Menu+Down.

there really wasn't anything i had to change, i changed it to 16:9 and it was already on 1080i which is all my tv goes.

I am currently looking to buy a new LCD with 1080p support and at least 3 HDMI inputs.

I'm probably not gonna get anything for at least 6+ months. So I will keep my eyes on a few tvs but i'll wait to do some serious looking.