1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing from PIO to DMA

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Obewone, May 19, 2004.

1. Obewone

Obewone Member

hey guys, i have a sony 510 and a strange problem with the secondary IDE channel, when my burner is set as master i can only get a setting of PIO, no matter how many times i try to correct this it just stays on PIO. now if i move the burner to slave it will see it as DMA. this problem exists before and after i upgraded the firmware. i have formated and reinstalled the os twice and still have the same results. also with my standard dvd-rom it shows the PIO setting. i quess as long as it works on one channel i could be happy, however i was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this problem before and could shed some light on how to fix it?

thanks in advance for your help,
    Obewone

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Are you setting the jumper on the back of the drive to master when you move it to master on the cable?

3. Obewone

Obewone Member

yes sir,
    no matter what device i put there it is PIO, i must have a bad motherboard.... too bad its refurbed gigabyte from newegg.... oh well

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

Obewone

It may very well be a problem with your IDE cable from your mother board. I would wip the cable out & reverse connect it. Then see what happens.

5. Obewone

Obewone Member

no problem with the cables, all brand new colorful round ATA133/100/66 cables. swapped two of them to eliminate that possibility. it must be a M/B problem. i flashed it with latest BIOS, did not fix.

obewone

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Bad juju I guess.

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Obewone, try uninstalling just the drive, reboot and let windows reinstall the driver, then try and switch from pio to dma

8. Obewone

Obewone Member

sorry guy, i've done that so many times already... thanks,

obewone

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Obewone, you could try calling microsoft. With every O/S you get 2 free tech calls. Well I guess that is if you have windows :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Do you have both the burner and rom on the same IDE? If yes, try splitting them. DVD rom as slave on Primary and Burner as Master on secondary. I have seen conflicts between drives on same IDE. When installed on different IDE's they worked. Just guessing here.

Jerry

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This does not mean that you have a bad motherboard. Some boards require that the DMA settings also be made in the bios setup, check it. If you have more than one cdrom/ burner on the same cable then swap the order and check your jumpers. Set your burner to master and your rom to slave.

12. Obewone

Obewone Member

guys i thank you for the help, however i had already mentioned that new cables, swapped cable, BIOS checked, i have the DVD burner and CD burner on the secondary IDE, the primary IDE has 2 160gig HDD's, the DVD rom is on a ATA133 PCI card along with 2 80gig HDD's. no matter which devive i put on the master it shows as PIO. i have tried diferrent settings from master/slave and cable select.i think its time to give up on this on.

Obewone

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sigh, you got to know that some of us never give up. Do you by any chance use the Intel application accelerator? It has been known to prevent some PCs from accessing DMA. If you have it try uninstalling it and then check your settings.

14. Obewone

Obewone Member

no, amd xp2500 barton overclocked to xp3400+, running on a nvidia2 chipset. i have reset the fsb from 200 back down to 166,133,100. same results.

15. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes the PIO/DMA thing is only during BIOS and it actually runs in DMA when Windows starts.

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Told you that some of us never give up. It's only a problem when no one has it! LOL

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Now if we can only get inside of the damn case!

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  18. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Did you OC the memory also?
    2. What cooling config do you have? I ramped mine to 2.4Ghz and didnt like the temperature so back to 2.2-2.3 she goes.

19. Obewone

Obewone Member

artic ceramic, coolermaster jet7 blower, 580w p/s w/3 fans. 5 case fans external powered, p/s also has adjustable pot's so i have all 12v and 5v lines running at there rated voltage. my cpu runs at 42c when running dvd shrink. even with a IFR thermometer the surrounding area of the cpu only reads 38c so heat is not the issue, you guys forgot that it is a refurb gigabyte motherboard from newegg. anyway i have a "NEW" abit motherboard on the way. thanks for your suggestions..
    Obewone