1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Languages in video files (avi etc.)

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bass63, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. bass63

    bass63 Guest

    I am fairly new to working with avi files and I have been doing some burning to DVD's. I have a nice avi file in the wrong language. What can I use to change the language of the file so I can have it in english? The titles are in english but the language is (I don't know).
     
  2. celtic_d

    celtic_d Regular member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3,352
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Well do you have a seperate audio track? The audio has to come from somewhere.
     
  3. bass63

    bass63 Guest

    It is pretty much a standard AVI Movie file - The movie was released in this country with an english soundtrack. I have gotten hold of a couple of files of this movie from different sources and both are set in a foreign language.

    Since the titles at the beginning of the movie are in english, I have to believe there are multiple languages in the file. I have not burned this to a DVD yet. I have been told that there is software available on the internet to change the language in most of these cases.

    Is this true? If so, do you know of a software that would be able to do this without spending a great deal to get it?
     
  4. celtic_d

    celtic_d Regular member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3,352
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    If it already contains an English audio stream, then job done. You already have English audio. If it doesn't, then like I said it has to come from somewhere. There is no software that can autotranslate. Besides who would want a translation of dubbed audio?
     
  5. bass63

    bass63 Guest

    I guess this is where I am trying to understand what I have or don't have. I have read and been told that there are sometimes, multiple languages within a movie file. What I am looking for is how to pick a language that isn't there by default and make it the default when the movie is played on a DVD machine.

    Maybe my perception is wrong about this but I have seen this movie, just as it is shown in this file and they are speaking english.

    If my perception is wrong, I guess I cannot use this file to burn it to a DVD and watch it that way. I just wanted to explore the possibility that I could make it work for me.



     
  6. celtic_d

    celtic_d Regular member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3,352
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Load the file in VirtualDubMod. Check under streams the number of audio streams.
     

Share This Page