1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing my MTU to 1500

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by cphicks, Jan 15, 2007.

1. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi everyone can you help this novice, i just had a tweak test done and they have advise me to change my MTU (MAX-TRANSMISSION UNIT)i think they mean the settings can anyone tell me how to do this please as my download line is 2mb, but not getting very good speeds i looked at firewall too so can you help please
    thankyou chris h

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Where did you get this from? It's not a good idea to play around with the MTU unless you know what you're doing, and many of these "tweak guides" and "tweak utilities" are full of --it. The tweaks at best don't work and at worst will trash your system, even if you don't gank up your registry while doing them. MTU is normally set by your connecting hardware and shouldn't be changed.

Anyway, for normal TCP/IP, you'd modify the registry via regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

Set the "MTU" (which is a "DWORD") to 1500.

3. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi dunker, well thankyou so much for your advice, so its better if i leave it alone then, ok thats cool, what about opening ports up to get better connections, i respect you and what you advise thankyou, but there must be a better way to get more connections cheers mate hope you reply chris

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Opening ports won't help, nor will increasing the maximum number of open connections.

Is your slow connection just with web browsing, file downloads from the web, P2P downloads, what? There are different tricks you can use with each. Also, what router and security software you are using? That can slow things down. *COUGH*COUGH*NORTON*COUGH*COUGH* :/