1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing recording type

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kb5523, Dec 16, 2004.

1. kb5523

kb5523 Member

Im wondering how i know what video mode im in,like how to change from SP to LP,to EP,,Etc..., I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-700a and wanted to know how i can find out how i know what speed im in and how to change to get more minutes on my Dvd

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

>.<

Oy... Sounds like you are still in VHS la la land... hehe! Tis okay though. :D SP, LP and EP have nothing to do with the DVD format, they are only speeds for VHS analog tapes.

As for the "minutes" on your disc, unlike VHS, the overall time length of a DVD is not adjusted according to the rotation speed of the disc. It is more thought of as "how much stuff can you cram onto the disc". So to "cram" a lot of stuff onto a disc, you need really good compression. The more compression you use, the more you can fit on a disc. It's possible to compress a 3 hour movie onto a "2 hour" disc, Return of the King for example. The downside is, the more compression you use, the lower the quality goes. Zero compression is best. That help any?

Check out the Glossary link at the top of the page for more info, lot of good stuff there. ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You are talking like this is a Stand alone DVD player which it isn't. You can on the stand alone player's set them like the VCR to record at SP, LP, EP, ect. Really what this is doing is condensing your video and audio streams. So to burn more onto your DVD using the burner you mentioned you would need to compress or reformat your video. A program that will do this automatically for you is NVE (nero vision express) It actually lets you set it on HQ, SP, and LP. The HQ setting being no compression. If I want to put a lot on one DVD I usually convert to DivX format. This produces one of the smallest files possible, but still retains very good quality. If these are just some videos, or shows you don't plan on watching to much or don't care about the quality you can get about 6 hours worth of video on them and still be able to view it fairly well with NVE. Mine look pretty good on a 20" TV but on my 60" LCD you can really see the difference.

Hope this helps you out some :)

[​IMG]

4. kb5523

kb5523 Member

how do u convert to divx,and im just going on what the package of my dvd states about recording time

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There are several method of comverting to DivX, check in the guides at the top of the page. I just record my TV shows into DivX right from the start ushually.

What your package is refering to is if you were to use those DVD's in a standalone DVD recorder. They do let you select SP, LP, EP ect.

[​IMG]