1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Xbox Dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by ten80, May 30, 2004.

1. ten80

ten80 Member

Right now i'm using evoX and I find myself loading XBMC right away for my gaming needs. Is there a way to make XBMC your default dashboard or to have it loaded automatically?

2. ten80

ten80 Member

3. mobester

mobester Member

ten80,

I'm very much a newbie to xbos mods and I could do with some pointing in the right direction. I want to do exactly what you did but I have the xenium rather than xecuter. Can you tell me how to modify the bios so I can have the modified bios as my second bank. I can do all the other steps but don't know what editing tool to use and what edits to make to the bios.

Thanks,

Mobester

4. BoxMods

BoxMods Regular member

Just get a hold of Xecuter 4981 BIOS and use XBTool to change it, then flash it onto your chip.

5. ten80

ten80 Member

6. mobester

mobester Member

I think I must have become stupid. This is what I did but it doesn't work "yet".

1. got the xecuter 4981 bios
    2. using ftp made a copy of the xbmc "default.xbe", renamed it to "xbmcdash.xbe" and put the copy in the c drive of the x box
    3. put a copy of the xbmc xml file onto the c drive of the x box
    4. using xbtool, I changed the primary xbe tool of my new 4981 bios to xbmcdash.xbe, saved the bios with a different name, ftpd it to the xbox and flashed the bios in as bank 2
    5. Set the xenium to boot from bank 2
    6. Rebooted the xbox but nothing happenned - simply got stuck and did not boot so I had to revert back to the old 4981 bios in bank 1

I know I was stupid, but can you tell this newb what he did wrong - eg was it renaming default.xbe or was it not changing something in default.xbe or the xml file ?

Thanks

Moby

7. mobester

mobester Member

Don't bother

That level of stupidity has passed thankfully !

All now up and running

8. scotts777

scotts777 Member

Hi there, I had this exact same dilemna.. using EvoX as my dashboard currently, want to switch to XBMC.

I renamed C:\evoxdash.xbe C:\evoxdash.old, then took the default.xbe from XBMC and copied it to C:\ as evoxdash.xbe

Next I took the Xboxmediacenter.xml file, filled in the <home>F:\Apps\XBMC</home> tag and copied to my C:\ drive also.

Now when I boot up I just get the XBMC error screen that says it can't read from the specified <home> dir and starts the "panic mode FTP server"..

When I log into FTP and there's no F drive, so that must be the problem since my <home> tag point to F:\Apps\XBMC

Is there something I'm missing here to make XBMC see my F partition? Sorry if this is a stupid question I wasn't quite sure what to do next.

Thanks
    Scott

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  9. mobester

mobester Member

Scott,

My suggestion, for what it's worth.

1. Don't rename your previous default dashboard - ie the evox one - just leave it exactly where it is.
    2. I am assuming under your previous scenario (ie before you changed the settings) everything worked fine - ie evox came up as your dashboard and you could launch xbmc from there.
    3. If so, the only thing you need to do and I mean the only thing is to use xbtool to change the primary dashboard to f:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe
    4. Leave everything else as it is - and yes you can use the f partition (assuming this is where your apps are) by clicking on the ^ arrow in xbtool) to set as a default dashboard.
    5. If you've left evox.xbe as is then that's a good failsafe for the modchip to boot to in case something has gone wrong.
    6. One last thing I found by trial and error is that if you're using xbmc it cannot launch dvds in the dvd rom (ie dvd movies) unless you edit the xml and change the dvd player to be the xboxdash.xbe. That works fine but after you've finished watching the dvd you'll have to reboot to go back to xbmc.

Hope this helps

M

10. scotts777

scotts777 Member

Hey thanks for the response, I used XBTool to check out the BIN file I used when I flashed my BIOS, and it looks like it's setup to run c:\avalaunch.xbe first, then c:\evoxdash.cbe second. I tried renaming the XBMC .xbe file to avalaunch.xbe, and I get the same problem, it can't read from my F drive.

The thing I don't understand is why XBMC can see my F drive when I launch it as an application from EvoX, but it can't see my F drive if I launch it as my dashboard.

You said I should try using XBTool to change the first dashboard to xbmc.xbe, does this mean I would have to use the XBTool program to make the changes, then save as a BIN, burn to a DVD and re-flash my BIOS? Is there an easier way I can do this? Maybe via FTP... Thanks.

11. mobester

mobester Member

If you have another dash with an ftp function, then ftp is fine. Eg the evox dash has a built in ftp function so all you need to do is have that up and running if you want to ftp to the xbox to sort out your xbmc issues.

I'll try and be clearer this time.

1. get xbtool - do a google to find it
    2. go to irc and get 4981 bios from team xecuter and the 3rd June cvs build of xbmc from xbins
    4. start your normal dash (I am assuming that avalaunch is similar to evox in that it has an ftp function)
    5. use an ftp client on your pc to connect to the xbox (port 21, login xbox, password xbox - NB disable PASV)
    6. Assuming your current xbmc app is installed in F:\Apps - use ftp to go to that directory and delete the subdirectory "XBMC" - ie clear out the old version to save you problems later.
    7. Use ftp to go to the E drive of your xbox and the subdirectories Tdata and Udata. In both these subdirectories clear out any files in the folder which has "008" in the title - this flushes out all the old xbmc settings
    8. Use ftp to upload your new version of xbmc and put it in F:\Apps. Ie in the version you downloaded from irc take the folder "xbmc" and drag that into F:\Apps using your ftp client
    9. Now test your new version of xbmc - ie launch it from your avadash or evoxdash - if it works you've done the hard part and shouldn't have problems with the next part
    10. Open the 4981 bios you downloaded from irc with xbtool. You may have to change two settings max. First one depends on what hard drive setup you have and relates to LBA48. If your HD is under 120GB then don't bother ticking LBA48 support. If it's over 120 GB you need to tick LBA48 support and set the option that comes up according to your set up - ie if your 160GB or 200GB drive is all in "F" then set it so Partition 6 takes everything. If some of it is in the G drive then set it to Partition 6 takes 137GB and partition 7 takes the rest.
    11. The only other bios setting you need to change are the "boot partitions and executables" - set 1st to F:\Apps\xbmc\default.xbe, set 2nd to C:\avalaunch.xbe or C:\xboxdash.xbe - base this on what is in your C drive folder.
    12. That's the only changes required to your bios. Save it with a name you like - eg 4981v2.bin and upload it using ftp to your c:\folder.
    13. If you have xenium flash this new bios to a preferred bank and try it out - ie boot from it and see if it works. If it works but you're having networking issues, edit the xboxmediacenter.xml in the folder F:\Apps\xbmc - instructions are on xbmc homepage.

Hope this helps you

Moby

12. scotts777

scotts777 Member

OK Here's the whole thing : I have an XBOX 1.0 with an Xecuter 2.3 Pro chip running EvoX dashboard on an 80GB HD. I already have a copy of XBTool v1.0.22, and I used it to check my existing BIOS (xecuter 4981). The current BIOS seems to be all setup properly, LBA48 support is checked off and set to Partion 6 takes rest of drive, however the startup exectuables are set to C:\avalaunch.xbe, C:\exoxdash.xbe and C:\mxmdash.xbe.

The problem I am having is that when I make XMBC.xbe my startup exectuable (which I have been doing by renaming it avalaunch.xbe) it can't "see" my F drive. The files are all there, in a separate folder on F (F:\Apps\XBMC2004-06-14 or whatever) but XBMC just gives me the error it cant see them. When I FTP in, there is no F drive present, so that seems to be the problem.

Now when I load evoxdash.xbe so I load the EvoX dash and run XBMC as an application from the menu, it works fine! And I am loading it from the F drive! So I understand how to edit my BIOS and re-flash it etc, which I would rather not do unless necessary, but I don't understand why XBMC won't run as a startup program but it will as an app via EvoX. That's my question.

Thanks
    Scott

13. mobester

mobester Member

Two things.

1. If your ftp client can't see the F drive but you know it's there and have apps and data on it then something is wrong with your ftp setup. What ftp client are you using on your pc and what are the settings. I'm using cuteftp version 5 and can give you the settings on that which work.

2. when you use xbmc as your dashboard I think you have to edit your xboxmediacenter.xml file so xbmc knows "where to go" - it is in a slightly different mode from being used as an app within the evox dashboard. I understand that you can do what you did - ie copy and rename xbmc dash and put it in the c root folder but in that case you need to copy but not rename the xml file and put it in the same c root folder and change the settings to tell it that the rest of the xbmc files are on the f drive - instructions are on the xbmc online manual page.

Over and out

M

14. scotts777

scotts777 Member

Hi again.. I'm using FlashFXP 3.0 as my FTP, and never had problems with it. I FTP into my Xbox on a daily basis practically and install emulators, N64 SNES ROMs, copy games on and off, upload different programs, XBMC etc, modify settings, you name it I've done it. Everything is on my F drive. I don't think there is a problem with my FTP software.

The only time I can't see my F drive with my FTP software is when XBMC has been loaded as my dash and it can't find the files it's looking for on F, and it puts me into the "emergency FTP" mode.

And yes I put the file XboxMediaCenter.xml in my root C:\ folder and changed the <home> tags to reflect the proper path : F:\Apps\XBMC etc..

Maybe I'll try copying the whole XBMC folder to my C: drive and see if it will run from there and then see if I can access my games and programs on F from within. Thanks for your suggestions.

Scott