1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chassis Fan

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bluenose, Jan 5, 2004.

1. bluenose

bluenose Guest

I just bought a amd athlon xp 2700+ and ASUS motherboard and hooked it all up correctly I thought till i discovered there was a chassis fan connecter needed. The last motherboard I had did not have this fan and was wondering if this is really needed. If so what do I need to buy?

2. cdcoaster

cdcoaster Member

Hi bluenose, i am not clear on what u mean? when u say chassis fan do u mean case fan? Fans have either 3 wires, the small 3 pin connector or 4 wires the bigger D shaped 4 pin connector.
    The 3 pin can go 2 the mobo if u have extra sockets 2 plug them into, they r the same as ur cpu fan connector, or u can get a converter lead with a 3 pin socket at 1 end and a 4 pin connector at the other which u connect 2 any power lead coming from ur power supply unit.
    If u don't have a spare 4 pin d shape connector coming from ur psu u need a splitter lead that well uum, splits 1 power lead from ur psu into 2 which u can plug ur fan into. If u have other case fans u may not need this 1, just depends how cool ur system is running and how quiet/noisy it is and how paranoid u r about the temp. Personally if i have fans available i use them all! I have a thermaltake full tower with 2 fans at the front, 2 at the back and 1 in the door and i use them all as they r quite quiet.
    For a better understanding of what i am trying 2 say check out this link, hope it helps.
    http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/CPUFANADAPT.htm?x=27&y=21

_
    _
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]coasterboy[/small]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  3. bluenose

bluenose Guest

Thanks for taking the time to reply cdcoaster.

After taking a closer look at the casing I have noticed there is no fans inside. The only fans running on my PC are the CPU fan and the PSU fan. Im encountering a few problems now that I have this new mobo and CPU now. My PSU units Max Output is only 145W which means I will have to get at least a 250W (When I have been starting the PC it starts to power up then stops.....then begins to fully power up).

The other thing is the system panel connecters. On my new motherboard this is a 20 pin socket. My problem is that I only have a 16 pin connecter with only 6 wires running to this. I have no HDD LED and during the POST I do not hear any beeps.

Should I buy a new case with a PSU? and if I did buy a new case will it come with the 20 pin system panel connector?

Please help before I damage my mobo and cpu

4. cdcoaster

cdcoaster Member

Hi bluenose, no case fans at all!!! i would'nt run it like that as the hot air is not going 2 to b expelled.
    It sounds as if (although obviously i don't know 4 sure) u have put a modern mobo in an old case, the easiest/quickest/cheapest option would b 2 get a new case as most new cases come with at least 1 fan usually 2, 1 at front, 1 at rear and extra spaces to put in more,and a psu, u really need a psu rated at least 350watts especially if u have a decent graphics card as they require a lot of power on startup.

A new case should also give u more front panel connections that new mobo's have, these r needed 2 support advanced power management modes that the cases power switch/button can control, often called soft-off by PWRBTN, (powerbutton) which u can setup from the BIOS.
    Some cases come with block connectors that plug right in, but don't always connect up correctly! many just come with the wires split up individually with markings on them that u then plugin 1 at a time 2 the mobo and u would need 2 refer to ur mobo manual to find out what goes where. check out this site u should find what u need here and it will help u choose the right case and psu if u r not sure what 2 go 4.

We all learn from our mistakes, those that don't try never learn!

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/diy_2-13.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]coasterboy[/small]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

145Watts...... XP2700..... at least 1 hard drive.... one network card.... probably an optical drive..... im quite impressed the machine runs with 145W :p

More seriously though, a minimum of two fans is reccommended (depending on the chassis you may only be able to fit 1, although most by now support two or more).