1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing and installing DVD+ - R drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by kukuis, Feb 16, 2005.

1. kukuis

kukuis Member

I am very new to this as well. I presently have as my d drive: Samsung CD-ROM SC148C and e drive: Philips DVD+RW-D28 with a Pentium4 2GHz Proc, in my Dell Dim4500 with 512MB Ram. I will provide more info if needed.

I'm frustrated with not being able to burn to DVD-R discs, only DVD+R as it seems there's many more DVD-R players out there so I'd like to get a new burner and am considering the Plextor 716A that I've read good things in here about.

I've also tried to use my Philips DVD burner to emulate MS FlightSim2004 on CD-R and it looks like it burns it but I can never get the game to work with the backup copies. Somebody replied in another forum that my CD/DVD burner may just not be able to emulate correctly so I'm hoping this all fixes that problem.

When I opened my computer, it doesn't look like I have anywhere to put it. Is it easy to just pop the Samsung CD-ROM player I have in there now out and replace it with the Plextor? Can someone provide me steps? My experience "in the computer" only consisted of adding an internal Linksys antenna. That seemed easy. Many of you are probably laughing at this.

Am I losing out by not just spending the extra on an external drive (I'd prefer not to have more wires)? All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

The plextor is a great drive, though I would also consider going with the NEC 3520. Same quality but less expensive. Just go with an internal. Most likely all you'll have to do is swap it out.