1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choppy Picture After Burning PAL Region 2 DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by muzic72, Mar 13, 2004.

1. muzic72

muzic72 Member

I have a DVD that I bought from overseas(Region 2/ PAL). I used Shrink 3.1.6 to convert it to region 1 and
    then burn it to a DVD-R. When I watch the completed DVD-r it the video is choppy and unwatchable. I have two DVD burners one is set for region 1 and the other region 2. Which DVD burner should I use to analyse and read the origial region 2 PAL DVD? Why does the video look choppy? Is it even possible to convert a PAL region 2 DVD so that it plays in a NTSC region 1 DVD player? My platform is X-P.

Thanks

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi muzic72, If you are playing that PAL dvd on a NTSC dvd player and TV it won't work even if you made it region free. The region and video standard are 2 different things. I read that in Europe, their equipment is made to play and view either system. Here in the US we aren't that lucky. They only make the NTSC system equipment. I would guess there is a way to convert the PAL to NTSC but I don't know what is involved.

Jerry

3. robertpcx

robertpcx Member

Jerry746;

If I make a pal region 4 DVD movie region free will the pal DVD movie play on my computer monitor?

Will it play on my 30" widescreen LCD TV/computer monitor which has DVI in as well as VGA in?

It actually has a button on the remote control for PC mode.

What software DVD player would work best for playing pal DVD movies?

What free software if any will make the pal movie region free?

Will I need a region 4 DVD rom drive to access the region 4 pal DVD movie?

Kind Regards

robertpcx

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi robertpcx, If you are in the USA like I am, It probably will not work. US equipment only will play NTSC video standard. It doesn't matter what region it is or if region free. PAL wil not play right on US equipment. I read that equipment made overseas will play both in most cases. But if you are USA located,its a no go with out some type of conversion. I don't know what is involved to convert since I never had to try it. The video format and region setting are 2 completely different items. You can sometimes tell one by knowing the other but they are 2 different things.

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004