1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chorus mmds advice and help needed please

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by tw0nk, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks everyone for all you help soo far.

Using a DVB-T USB tuner connected to an antenna and necessary downconverter, should I be able to watch scrambled ch0ru$ channels?

Or would that just let me watch the fta channels? And would I require specific drivers and software to do this?

2. johnmc1

johnmc1 Member

go for a dream box there excellent

3. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Sounds like most of you are big DreamBox fans, especially for it's auto-update ability. But isn't it likely that if I purchased a DreamBox now that I'd get landed with a clone? Do clones work just as well and/or do they have a limited life span?

4. glic83

glic83 Regular member

the clones work every bit as well as the orginal some people find them slightly better and its over a £100 cheaper than the dm 600,go for the clone is my advice

5. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks glic83, the clone dreambox sounds very promising so. I guess there may be varying degrees of clone quality. Can you recommend a good website to purchase a dreambox 500t from (good quality & price)?

6. tw0nk

tw0nk Member

Yup I need a place to purchase reliably too if anyone has any recommendations...

7. glic83

glic83 Regular member

forgot it was the t model ye were looing for the 500t have been hit and miss i got 2 the other day for my mates and they both miss 1 transponder so you might get lucky and get 1 that gets them all or not,the channels you would be missing are bbc 1 + 2 , utv, c4 but you could watch these through your chorus box,now the 600 t is better than the clone stronger tunner so it doesnt miss any transponders, now if its cable the clone 500c works perfectly

8. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks. Given that the dreambox 500t is hit-and-miss and the 600t is rather expensive, would you advise ch0ru$ MMDS users to try the new “TheBox-T”? That is assuming it gets released soon (some sites now have it on pre-order with the promise of it being released by next wednesday).

9. glic83

glic83 Regular member

the dream box 600 has been around longer so there is more support you can try different images etc.., thing about the box-t is if the starview was anything to go by it had trouble with keys auto rolling and people had to wait for the new firmware but the dreambox autorolls so there is no waiting for anything,i admit im a dreambox man so i will be bias towards the 600 but i do admit the box-t is good value,anyone have any idea what the tunner is like in the box -t?

10. shguilf

shguilf Member

Hey Jimme,

Did you pre -order thebox-t yet and if so what website as I would like to get one too. I bought Eurovox 08 and it will not work for chorus mmds so from search the forums this seems to be the one to go for thbox-t. I presume there is autoupdate on this one??

thanks alot.

11. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Hey shguilf,
    Yes I pre-ordered “TheBox-T” from a site called iwantabox. The pre-order stated that they would be in possession of the product by the end of October, however they now are claiming that it will be mid-November. This seems to be going on for a while now. From reading the forums, this box has been promised for a long time and there is still no sign of it.
    I’m beginning to think that a Dreambox is my best option. The Dreambox 500t seems to be a good option but I have been warned that if I purchase online I will probably end up with a clone! The 600t is that little bit too expensive. Given that I haven’t even been able to test the quality of the signal I’m receiving - 300euro would be a bit of a waste if it did not work.

12. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Simply use a usb dvb-t stick for 15 euro at your pc for testing.

13. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks mgb17,
    I have ordered a Freecom DVB-T USB Stick at a reduced price. Do you think I will be able to pick up the channels using this by simply connecting to my antenna or will I need to un-scramble them using some sort of software?

14. tw0nk

tw0nk Member

yeah I reckon you need software, and if so, what software would decrypt the channels on pc using dvb-t usb stick?

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You have to install the bda drivers, not the WDM drivers.
    Next you need a programm like progdvb, a transponder list for scanning and two files for the descrambling part.
    Btw every stick with blaze hdtv included should do the job. Blaze is the guarantee for bda drivers.
    The freecom stick has bda drivers anyway.

16. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Ok, Thanks.
    I’m slightly confused but I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it once I get a few things installed. If I get stuck I know where to come for some help – thanks everyone! One last question for now – is this set-up likely to get me just the standard (free-to-air) channels or will I be able to tune in premium channels like sky sports and setanta?

17. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

What do you think descrambling means.
    Don't install the delivered original software. You need only the bda drivers from freecom.

18. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks a million for the advice. My antenna is working well, so I went ahead and ordered a Dreambox 600t. Just getting software organised so that I can get it up and running as soon as possible when it arrives. I have read that I need to flash the dreambox with a Gemini image and then need to load a terrestrial.xml file.

I’m living in Cork and looking to access Ch0ru$ MMDS. What version of the gemini Image should I use (3.6, 4.0 or 4.1)? Also, where can I get the terrestrial.xml file for my area. Thanks again.

19. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The gemini version doesn't matter.
    Did you order now a freecom stick or not?

20. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Ya, freecom stick arrived this morning. Thanks to your advise mgb17, it was easy enough to get up and running. Unfortunately I can’t dedicate my laptop to decoding TV channels, so I went ahead and ordered a Dreambox 600t. Hopefully it will arrive by the weekend - then my family will give me back my laptop :)

So there is no advantages of one Gemini image over the other. I guess I’ll put the newest version on so. Any idea where I would get the terrestrial.xml file? Cheers