1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chorus mmds advice and help needed please

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by tw0nk, Aug 27, 2007.

1. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

2. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Cheers mgb17, will let ye know how I get on once my dreambox arrives.

3. tw0nk

tw0nk Member

jimmie , would you mind detailing your steps to decoding the channels with your usb stick? i just ordered one and it would be great if I knew what to download etc to pick up the chans like sky sports etc, thanks in advance...

4. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Hi tw0nk,
    I used a freecom dvb-t usb stick. Not sure what type you have ordered but I don’t think it matters as long as the device is compatible with BDA drivers. In my case I didn’t install any of the supplied drivers. Instead I download BDA compatible drivers (Yakumo BDA drivers) which are know to work with my device. You will also need a program like Progdvb. The following forum was very helpful:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/563096

Unfortunately, I only got a few channels working and even at that the program kept crashing on me. Thankfully, this was all I required to guarantee that my antenna was picking up a digital signal. If I stuck at it for a while I’m sure I could sort it out, but why bother when my dreambox will arrive in a couple of days!

5. tw0nk

tw0nk Member

Thanks a million jimmie, thats a great help.

6. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You should bother because if your better half want to watch a other channel than sport a second TV choice is not bad.
    If you plan to split the feed between power inserter and TV you should use an amplified splitter or distribution amp which support the full range 50 to 850 mhz.
    A second option is to use the RF output of the dreambox.
    Btw the main problem with your stick is maybe the wrong transponder list.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks mgb17, that’s good advice. Nothing worse than missing a game because someone wants to watch x-factor or some chick-flick (no offence indented to anyone who like these shows, but they’re not my favourites). I think I’ll focus my efforts on the dreambox for now. Once I get a full list of channels I'll go back and tune them in on the PC.

In fact if I can split the connection I can route it to my house PC (instead of my laptop), unscramble the channels and then output to my other 28inch TV. While this isn’t as good as having a 2nd set-top-box, it is far cheaper and will only be used on the odd occasion. It will also make it easy to record all my favourite shows to my PC hard disk.

Some great possibilities … cheers mgb17!

8. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

I've almost set-up my dreambox 600t, but I'm having trouble locating the following files. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

The files I’m looking for are:
    AutoRoll.Key
    SoftCam.Key
    and the ROM files

9. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Use the softcam.key for your stick, overwrite N 5F01 with N 5E01 and change the name to SoftCam.Key. The name is case sensitive for Linux.

10. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Cheers mgb17,
    I'll give that a try. What about the "AutoRoll.Key" file and the ROM files? Do you know where I can get them? Thanks

11. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Cheers mgb17, I did what you said with the “SoftCam.Key” file. I found a “AutoRoll.Key” file on the Internet and put them both in the /var/keys folder and it seems to have improved matters, slightly! However I read on another thread that I need ROM files. I have no idea what these are or where to get them? Any ideas?

12. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

If the keys are valid in your SoftCam.Key the scrambled channels should now working.
    The rom files are for autoupdate. Downlad the magic or secrect files for a dbox2 from a forum and replace also your AutoRoll.Key file.

13. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

So if I have the correct SoftCam.Key file the channels should work - even if the AutoRoll.Key is incorrect? I only ask because I am only able to view a couple of channels (RTE2, TV3, ...). How can I confirm I have the correct SoftCam.Key file? Thanks for your patience with this, but I just can’t seem to get it to work. Cheers.

14. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The AutoRoll.Key is for autoupdate. If there is no keyroll the file is not needed.
    There should be valid keys for N 5E01 00 and N 5E01 01.
    Valid keys are here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/531363

S2emu need the same keys for N 5F01.

If you changed anything on the dreambox restart mgcamd via the blue button menue.
    There must be also mgcamd selected instead of common interface in the blue button menue.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  15. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

YES YES YES – It’s working!!!
    To confirm, my DreamBox 600t is picking up around 64 channels and ALL of them are being unscrambled successfully. These include premium sports and movie channels. Fantastic!

Thanks especially to mgd17 for all your expert advice - without it I’d still be stuck with rte and tv3.

16. Fano

Fano Regular member

Good news,but you should have around 72 tv channels in total plus 8 or 9 radio channels if you are in Cork county.
    Try another scan.

17. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks - I’ll give it a go when I get home this evening. Do you know where I could get a list of the channels, so that I can compare? Chorus do not appear to have a definitive list of channels for the area, so I just assumed I had them all.

Would this indicate that the Terrestrial.xml file I have is not complete? I guess an Automatic scan will just find the same channels, but I don't know the settings for a Manual scan!

18. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

I did a auto-scan when I got home yesterday and the rest of the channels just appeared. Have around 72 tv stations now - YEAH!!!

19. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

Jimme, is there any chance you could point me in the direction to get these files, and a quick guide to getting a 500t up and running on Ch0r*s ? I have to set up one of these for a friend this weekend. Any help is much appreciated.

20. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Hi myloyams,
    Most, if not all of the files I used were kindly given to me by mgb17. While I’m happy to share, I don’t wish to take credit for the great work mgb17 has been doing on these threads (after all, it must have taken a lot of time and effort to compile this set of magic files!). Also, I don’t know how to share the files without signing up to a file-sharing site which I don’t have time for right at this moment as I’m snowed under in work. With mgb17’s permission I’m sure I could sort something out over the weekend.