1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tali1, May 17, 2020.

1. tali1

tali1 Regular member

At my wits end now .Chrome keeps crashing- this has been a persistent prob for nearly 5 years.In 3hrs of usaege it can crash several times.Not only that PC goes into lockdown - even task manager won't work - and it is far quicker to manually shut off pc and reboot it again.After taht it still takes several minutes for pages to load
    I have 6gb memory - but get chrome memory shite
    Run all sorts of clean up scans ,
    Hardware acceleration sort of fixes it for a few weeks (on /off ain't got a clue which is best) , but then crashing nonsense starts all over gain.
    At the mo it is not crashing but new prob - save image wont work -so i have to keep restarting chrome
    Oh btw Firefox is even worse(even after clearing cache) and IE isnt much better
    update - Chrome crashing every couple of minutes now.Weird problem : save images box opens as small and also sometimes large window After a while wont let me copy /paste picture name to save

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Web2tech Solutions likes this.
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in your bios to see what the cpu temperature is. also open computer side panel to see if cpu heatsink is clean or clogged. run a full scandisk(5 stages) for any file corruption or bad sectors.

3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

This is a pretty comprehensive set of suggestions if one is using Win 10 (Idon't know if that's what tali1 has) but most of it would apply to any Windows version-

https://dailytechposts.com/why-google-chrome-keeps-crashing-on-windows-10-how-to-fix-it/

But, if all three browsers are doing the same thing, it looks like the problem is not the browsers. There was a problem with Firefox in that it would cause the graphics driver to stop working and lock up the system for a couple of minutes but that was fixed in an update.

4. tali1

tali1 Regular member

scandisk said clean.
    Anyway , think its best to provide specs to get better idea
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. ddp

why are you running 32bit windows when you have 6gb of ram?

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Also, he mentions running scandisk but nothing about the suggestions in the link I provided. As I mentioned, most of what's in that link would also apply to Win 7 as well as other Windows version. The only things that I wouldn't do is items 1-3, although item 3 is not out of the question.

7. tali1

tali1 Regular member

64 -bit won't install. Just takes me into a circle of "downloading" -even though i have downloaded it for installation

8. tali1

tali1 Regular member

No sandbox
    No conflicts.
    Ran Scannow in safe mode - says some corrupt files could not be fixed
    Ran DISM but got Error 67 -which is usually incorrrect filepath (i have checked and it is not-with correct spacing before /)

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You should run scannow from windows since safe mode doesn't have all the drivers installed and possibly, the ability to fix things. We can get into those later, if necessary.

What about items 4 through 7?

10. ddp

tali, what is the model of the Lenovo computer? what windows version was that computer using originally? did you try to install 64bit ontop of 32bit windows? did you also do scandisk for bad sectors?

wither, drivers are for hardware not software use so not needed to correct file corruption.

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

What I meant was that it won't be able to check all the drivers from safe mode but your point is understood.

12. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Lenovo Thinkcentre
    Win 7 xp as per screenshot.Haven't got clue really about ontop i just went to google to /download/install.No error messages - nothing - just a download cycle
    Did online Av scan 20 threats deleted
    Did scannow and dsim from windows same results.
    Tabs are temperamental -closing more often them not results in crash.Lots of them or not many makes no difference whatsoever
    Performing better - but right click saving images takes too long.
    Mozilla still a joke (it has always been- 10 minutes to load and crashes within 2 mins)
    Only 2 crashes today-first one recovered quick - but 2nd one was whilst i was typing this and had to manually reboot pc -almost as if the Pc was trying to prevent me getting help.Staraange- but tbh i'm not surprised given how this pc behaves

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. ddp

what is the model# for the thinkcenter? no such thing as win7 xp. right now it sounds like either windows is corrupted or the hard drive has bad sectors thereby causing windows to do what it is doing & not what it is supposed to do.

tali1 likes this.
  14. omendata

omendata Regular member

Install Acronis drive monitor - its free and will tell you in an instant whether your disk is going up the kyhber pass without a paddle - you can also check the smart stats for the reallocated clusters , temperature etc and setup alerts - its a great program.

Its most likely the disk but i would also make up a microsoft memory test disk using the online .iso file and make sure you run a few iterations to check for faulty intermittent ram errors.

I suspect its the disk if its the motherboard or ram you can stick in a new hdu and do a fresh install and see what happens - if that fails you know its not the disk and the pc itself so time to either get a new one or start desoldering those 2200uf caps and replacing em lol

I used to spend hours , days weeks fixing problems like these but to be honest i just do a wipe and reinstall now - windows 10 makes it easier as well and all my documents etc are stored on another disk which makes recovery easier!
    A good backup strategy will save you hours of pulling your hair out!
    Just wipe and reload even if its just to another disk for testing purposes to see if its the hardware cpu memory disk motherboard or even the psu i have seen it all the strangest of things like dodgy usb ports and power switches causes all manner of issues!

Attached Files:

tali1 likes this.
  15. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Since last post , PC has been running a lot better BUT (as i expected) i have had 2 recent crashes which needed a manual reboot.First serious crash was yesterday - and i thought it a one -off but happened again today .
    Also Acronis says my disk is fine - but then gives warning message .High risk events log state The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.Alo the drive is rather full -but these issues were happening waaaaay before that.

Attached Files:

16. ddp

how full is the drive? are you using a disk cleanup program like ccleaner?

17. omendata

omendata Regular member

Acronis is a great FREE utility probably one of the best due to its small size and instant diagnostics and the fact you can leave it running in the system tray it also monitors the windows hardware logs and that error you jsut got tells you all you need to know - the problems you are having as expected are due to failing hard drive

Replace it is the only solution it will just get worse until you end up with a dead PC and that dreaded "No Bootable Device" error when you boot up one day.
    If you dont do it asap and dont have a backup you might regret it - I have seen users in tears after losing years decades of family pictures and documents etc!

If you check the SMART PARAMETERS and look at Reallocated sector count - if its more than 10 then the drive is toast and if its over 50-100 the drive will have a catastrophic failure very soon - you can also see how many hours it has been on its lifetime and lots of other useful ones liek the temperature which can also give you a heads up on a failing drive even when there are no bad blocks yet - Its one of the top utilities on ym engineers disk and usually the first one out when diagnosing user problems like these!

This is how it looks for a customer who came to me last week with the same issues - same problem - New hard disk, restore and cleanup and he phoned me today to say all is fixed!

Backup your system NOW before you lose all your data and get a new HDU

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  18. ddp

same with a customer back in spring 2011 with couple of months old laptop, she didn't buy the extend warranty, just had 30 day store warranty that had expired. she bought a new hd, i installed windows then got her data off dying hd. following year she was vacuum cleaning, snagged the laptop's power cord connected to the running laptop causing the laptop to fall & trashed the hd. lost all her data as she did not have data backup.

omendata likes this.
  19. omendata

omendata Regular member

Yeah users are clueless until the dreaded happens - I have 3 backups all automated with powershell just to be safe - Secondary HDU in the laptop is always a good bet if you dont need the DVD drive and who does these days and 4 extra hard drives in the main desktop , NAS Friday backup and another backup to my Vmware server - Overkill?

The guy above has just stated he was having these bad blocks before he posted this question¬
    QED

20. omendata

omendata Regular member

I have 16gb ram but still running Windows XP on it lol
    Computer geeks are weird people - cmon you should ken that DDP!
    >;O)