1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tali1, May 17, 2020.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

win 7 pro 64bit on both towers with 120gb ssd as c:drive, 1tb as data drive & 8gb each on both towers tho this will be going to 12gb. i copy my data off this tower onto my external 500gb which gets copied to 2nd tower.

omendata likes this.
  2. omendata

omendata Regular member

Yeah kinda the same Acronis does the main job then the powershell scripts take the backup and hurl it into other locations!

Still with win 7 DDP eh i dont blame you
    I installed win10 on my Dell E5530 laptops just bought em on ebay £40 each and dun em up new memory ssd all that jazz and windows 7 zips along but windows 10 is a real pain it sucks disk space , chrome just doesnt play ball well even though i have upped the memory to 8gb on both and everything is just a hassle

Windows 7 still the best but i just swap in the ssd when i need to bit like my main desktop its all hot swap drives now no more internal hard drives inside the case producing more heat and getting it from the psu etc

120Gb hmmm 240gb for me now windows 10 just sucks that space up

Integral P Series 240gb got em for £21 when the price was right - fastest 240gigger around and quite reliable so far!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Integral...9&sr=1-1-c8b680f7-0dc9-4abe-aa5a-ccfde0ac07ae

I am constantly optimising my experience lol
    Geekxtra!
    >;o)

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think ddp had it right the first time, your hardware is overheating, most likely your CPU. The fact that your image shows acceptable temps at that moment doesn't mean your system isn't overheating. I've seen PC's where the CPU fan stops intermittently during use, and at least one where a loose wire jammed the fan and stopped it from working. Try running a load while measuring temps at the same time and keep an eye or ear open to insure the fan is running.

aldan likes this.
  4. aldan

aldan Active member

mighty long thread,lotta conjecture on slim to none information.comon guys,if i did that diagnosing car problems i wouldnt have a job.lets have complete pc specs.as was mentioned as well TEMP SPECS?right now its just pi##ing into the wind.

Sophocles likes this.
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Conjecture and hypothesis are synonyms which is an educated guess. Short of physically having the computer in front of us, all that we can do is ask questions and make the best guess we can based on what we know. We know that when he runs certain applications his system crashes. We know that while in bias the Temps are 63C which is just about at the processor's optimum max load. Once he's logged into Windows the temps will be higher still, and once he begins using his browsers, they will easily push past an E5700's Tcase Max of 74.1c. We know that he has a commercial system which means a basic OEM CPU Cooler. So I'm going to piss into the wind, and still say that I think ddp had it right, his system is more likely than not is overheating. I wonder how clean the heat sink on his CPU cooler is? :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    aldan likes this.
  6. tali1

tali1 Regular member

update - has been running better (but hold on) .Noticed drive was pinning and "gasping " So i opened it and cleaned everywhere for dust as best as i could (it was not what i would call an excessive amount)
    The spinning/gasping stopped immediately .
    I also cleaned up drive by removing pics /vids i did not need.
    Also i used to leave pc running overnight but now put it into sleep mode.
    Unfortunately the last 2 days have been bad with the crashes reoccurring more frequently and manual reboots increasing again (this is something i suspected would happen)
    I will update again in a couple of weeks

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm curious, do you do any transcoding, such as DVD to Mp4, or a larger MP4 to a smaller MP4? Use an application such as handbrake to transcode a reasonably large video, and then track and capture an image of CPU temperatures after it has been running for a few minutes, and then post it here.

8. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Huge improvements - BUT in the last few weeks "the demons " have (as i fully expected ) started to return

9. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Jesus Christ -PC has gone apeshit bonkers for last week. Lockdown crashes literally every 30 mins and manual restarts
    Something or code or command or algorthm beyond my non-tech understanding is seriously screwed up This is some serious fcked up voodoo shit going on

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm all but certain that your issue is being caused by CPU overheating. Looking at your image where it indicated a CPU temp of 63c, supports that notion. The maximum recommended T-Case temp rating for an E5700 is 74.1c, and the temp of 63c you displayed is a T-Case measure and very close to the max. Since you took the measure on boot in bios while you weren't running a load 63c is quite high. The minute you start adding a load to your CPU the temperature is going to soar well above 74.1c. So you need to take care of your temperatures. It's possible that you have a failing cooling fan.

We could stress test your rig, by watching the temperature while adding a load. Go here, and download a copy of Real Temp. Since you're using an older Core 2 CPU, it might be a good idea to go with version 3.60. download and unpack it in a folder on your desktop. Run Real Temp and then while observing it start adding a load to your CPU. If you have a video game run it, that will get things warmed up quickly, and then post a screenshot of your temperatures. The possibilities are that your heat sink is completely covered with dust balls, or your fan is starting to fail. Either way, you need to focus on cooling things down.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-real-temp/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  11. tali1

tali1 Regular member

pc was deep cleaned up few months ago including fan -it wasn't mega dusty.i cannot load because i dont have any games
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Does the system crash when you're not using a browser?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just to clarify, how long did you run the Real Temp sensor test? If the above indicated 18 seconds is right, then that's not long enough to test things out. Your crash is likely a hardware issue which is why I think your system has been overheating, but if not then we have to look elsewhere. Any piece of struggling hardware can cause a crash, including a failing power supply. I recently had a power supply fail in the system I'm now using and it crashed when streaming video. Try temporarily uninstalling Chrome (you can save your settings) and let your system run for a few days to see if it crashes.

A couple of questions. Do you have speakers connected and turned on when you'er running your system? If so, were there any sounds that occurred prior to the crash?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  14. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I was going to bring up the power supply but was waiting to get a response to my question. Like you, I just went through the failing PSU problem a couple of months ago. Wouldn't be doing anything special and the system just shut down completely in a second, similar to how a overheating CPU would behave.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if psu issue then possibly bad capacitor(s) which can be replaced as have done that numbers of times.

16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I wonder what happened to tali1?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

He's experiencing life??? He'll pop back in when it suits him. After the last few posts I suspect he's working on his power supply. :D

18. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Still here , for the long run lol.
    A pretty good stable day today.
    Yes speakers are attached - tbh i can't ever recall any sound- although the sounds may have been muted by me screaming and swearing at my pc:eek: and my neighbor banging on on the wall telling me to wind it in:D

19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Gee tali1, it's only been about 10 days. ;)

Has it been good since then? My question was does it crash when you're not browsing the internet?

20. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Never use it without internet.
    Today,5 mins of work, nearly 1hr taken with lockdown forcing 2 manual reboots and 2 restarts Chrome wont open pages.No messages.Just tabs hanging.