1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tali1, May 17, 2020.

1. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In trying to determine the cause of the problem, I suggest not starting Chrome and do things or let it set for an hour without anything going on to see if the problem occurs.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You have a persistent problem that is not going to go away with a quick fix. You need to isolate the issue by removing reoccurring variables such as Chrome. If the problem only happens with Chrome, then uninstall it and leave it uninstalled, and use Firefox instead. You can save all your bookmarks and settings and transfer them to another browser. If your system also experiences the same problem with Firefox, then Chrome isn't as I suspect, the issue. Then try reinstalling Windows, and if the problem reoccurs with a clean install, then we can say with a degree of certainty that you have a hardware problem which is what I've suspected from the start. The problem is that if your computer crashes often enough then Windows will become corrupted and require a refresh.

3. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Update.Complete meltdown.4 manual reboots in 1hr.Firefox on the brink of complete collapse,takes 10 attempts to load.Refresh/troubleshoot mode ,still problem.
    This despite scannow clearing orphan and corrupt files

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was that a 3 step or 5 step scan disk that you did? who made your hd as sounds like the drive is crapping out?

5. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Pretty sure it was 5 step.
    Both chrome and Mozilla seem to be running much better when in safe mode though

6. ddp

who made your hd as a friend had same issue with chrome so ran hd diagnostic on the drive & it failed 2 tests?

7. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Update.Chrome and restarts HAD been more stable , but in last few days Chrome is on verge of total and utter collapse with sessions crashing every 5 minutes and now requiring forced manual reboots.Curiously whilst chrome tabs are failing , YouTube is running perfectly in its tab during these crashes

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

When you're experiencing problems, run Task manager, Processes. Is there anything there taking up a lot of memory?

9. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Massive problems continuing.Tried different system/security scans all showing everything is ok.I have noticed that full scans antivirus and win defender take 4 DAYS to scan.
    Im trying to rid of unwanted programs but windows installer keeps crashing pc that even task manager wont work and i have to manually reboot pc.
    I tried Avast Browser and that worked for a week but has now failed.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  10. ddp

still sounds like a bad hard drive & hopefully not bad ram or cpu. do you have a spare hard drive or can borrow 1 to do an experiment? check the capacitor cans on the motherboard that none are domed or leaking brown stuff.

tali1 likes this.
  11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I have to agree with ddp. You didn't answer my question about checking Task Manager, Processes, Memory when your experiencing problems. I have a problem in an old version of Firefox whereby if I leave it running on a webpage which is constantly changing ad, picture, etc. displays gradually consumes all of my computers memory and it's a brick. The memory usage is clearly shown there. 4 days to do a scan is ludicrous and really symptomatic of either a memory shortage or a screwed up HD, either physically or via loss of space or fragmentation.

tali1 likes this.
  12. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Did a cmd wmic diskcheck , that said ok
    Did Crystaldiskcheck that says Health Status : Caution .That as much as i can understand, the rest are terms and numbers i have no understanding /reference points of, so dont know what i should be looking out for.
    Havent used for a couple of days but will update what task manager processes says

13. ddp

check the cans on the motherboard.

14. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Will have to check motherboard when tech friend available.
    Few days back .Black screen after boot,but ok in safe mode.Took 30 mins to cure.
    Today Black Screen issue again .Took 2 hrs to get back.

15. ddp

onboard video or videocard?

16. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Yes onboard. Intel G41 Express Chipset

17. ddp

same chipset as mine but using videocard.

18. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

It's been a couple of weeks and wondered if tali1 has found a fix for his problem.

19. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Mobo is fine.
    New persistent issue is if i try to do a new search tab it takes 1 minute and 10 seconds for the page to load - this is for all searches and websites.
    And yet speed tests show my internet speeds are good.
    I thought maybe my LAN 2 was conflicting , so i disabled it - but it made no difference.Wonder if it is best to remove it altogether ?

20. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Would you run- msinfo32; save it as a file; zip the file and attach it here? Do this when Windows is running.