1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrono Trigger DS Rom Error Explanation+Solution

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by DivineNeo, Nov 20, 2008.

1. DivineNeo

DivineNeo Regular member

For those who have the ROM of Chrono Trigger, Square-Enix has "piracy-proofed" their game. If you had tried playing it, it's playable up to the point until Crono decides to enter the portal for the first time. Then the game "hangs" meaning it is stuck in that one scene when traveling back in time. If this is what you have encountered and want to know why, it is because there is one line in the script (an "if and then" process handler to be exact) of the game that causes it to hang. It is not a corrupt file, game error, or sloppy ripping, it is Square-Enix's anti-piracy action.

Btw, if by chance your game plays up to the part where you need to play the organs...the same exact thing happens where the game "hangs."

But fortunately, as stated by kittymat and kenio, there is a fix for this problem. Hooray!

Here is the direct link: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118540

Put it into your Cheat Code Editor and enable it when playing the game. N-joy!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

FIX FOR THE PROBLEM

gbatemp.net have issued a cheat file that allows the game to be played without issue, this has also been included in the big cheat file on the site. Download and put on your card, when you start the game select the cheat and it wil play fine

3. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

can you post an exact link to the cheat. I can't seem to find any cheat files new enough to have the fix for chrono trigger.

4. MaryD7

MaryD7 Regular member

5. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

thx

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  6. jch58

jch58 Member

Hi, thanks for the link. I've downloaded 11_28_08_CHEAT.DAT.zip, unzipped it, and copied the cheat.dat file into the _system directory. However, I'm not sure which option to select to enable the game to be played. I've tried various options but the game still hangs at the teleport blue screen. Please advise. Thanks.

7. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

So which file is the one to DL?...and why does the directory say GBA?...

8. poserblue

poserblue Member

I have a problem when i barely load up the game it days "Unable to access data. Please turn the power off and reinsert the game card." I really don't know what to do since everybody else at least gets stuck in the warping part

9. htmystery

htmystery Member

that happens when you don't have the latest patch/update for R4 card.

Go to http://r4ds.cn/ and download the R4 v 1.18 Kernel that was updated on 2008-04-24...

you should be able to get up to the part w/ warp thing then..

and yea - can someone please answer exactly which file you need to download from that site?

Thanks
    -HT

10. MaryD7

MaryD7 Regular member

11. Chade

Chade Member

Hey, quick question. I've downloaded the rom, but it won't load up on my R4 card, stating I need to insert the cartridge. What am I doing wrong?

12. Chade

Chade Member

heh already been mentioned nm sorry.

13. nbenko

nbenko Member

hey, thanks a lot!
    we'll see if this works now! i started three new games thinking it was just a glitchy rom, but nope, those square-enix folks are sly!
    and in all honesty, this game is so awesome and legendary we should probably all just buy it. but screw it, that's why we have flash cards for our beloved DS.

another time it hung for me was if you go to the place in the top right of the square where there is a concert happening, it hangs there too, at least it did for me.

anyways, thanks again!

14. poserblue

poserblue Member

there is a problem though because I don't have r4 i have m3 simply

15. nbenko

nbenko Member

@poserblue:
    there is one for m3 simply and non-m3 simply with the same cheat pack above.

16. eyemard

eyemard Member

Forgive me if this sounds stupid - but how do you save the game? Are there specific save points or can you just save anywhere? I managed to get through the portal to get back in time but could not find a place to save. In the save menu it just says 'cannot save at this time.' Just want to know if it's a problem with my rom or if it's meant to be like that.

Thanks

17. MaryD7

MaryD7 Regular member

you can save at world map. just open menu.
    also can save in places where you can see 'stars' with lights shinning onto it, just walk into it and open menu.

18. tankboss

tankboss Member

hi guys dont know if any of u guys have this problem. i downloaded the patched rom...works fine at time warps...until i reach later into the game where it freezes at this cutscene...

19. Nexum1

Nexum1 Member

Hi there.. Please help me.

I have bought a copy of chrono trigger (for the ds) so it is a cartridge on its own, No software or anything used. Its only the game like it is. But i think it is a fake, since i bought it on ebay, and it freezes in the first warp hole.

Can ANYONE PLEASE help?? :(
    I cannot add any cheat, and do not know how to patch it, since it is a normal cartridge version.. please help.