1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civilization 3 Video Rez. Issue

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by jburden78, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jburden78

jburden78 Regular member

I realize I am a little behind the times, But I just purchased Civilizaion 3. It has looked soooo interesting for quite a while now, and I found it at a low price... btw I am cheap (or economically practical!), what ever you prefer.

Any who, before I even tried to install it, I bought a new video card. It is a Asus 9250-X, 128MB, which has a display equal to what the requirements are on the box. Everything else regarding the minimum requirements is far and above what they need to be. So that is not an issue.

But what is happening is, I installed the game. Everything went through fine, but when I tried to play it, you double click on the Icon, with the cd in the drive, and you get a black screen for a few seconds. Only my screen, although black, has a whole bunch of lines going through it, as well as 3 hourglasses instead of the one. the whole screen is jumbled up.

Then the video intro comes on, and that part plays fine. But when the main screen comes on, it goes back to the triple screen crap! Everything is so mixed together, it takes a while to click on the exit button. Once you click exit, you go back to your desktop, and everything is fine again.

I can not help but think that it is an issue with the video card settings, but I have tried a bunch of things, and still no luck. It is very frustrating for me after waiting so long to buy it, and now this!

Thanks,
    JBurden

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

to me it sounds like the direct 3d on your graphics card is screwed up.

have you played any other 3d games using this card?

i know your economically practical so ill ask this, is the card 2nd hand.

3. jburden78

jburden78 Regular member

No I haven't played any other games, I'm not a real big gamer. Maybe I should give that a try.

And I bought the card brand new! It was just not an expensive one.

Thanks for your input. Any other Ideas?

JBurden

4. jburden78

jburden78 Regular member

I was wondering if the fact that I am using an older monitor would be interfering.

Is it possible that my Video Card can produce a resolution that my piece of crap monitor can not display properly? To add to this, the properties of my Video Card, on the website, says that it can display up to 2048x1536. But I can only set it to a Max of 768x1024. Can this too be caused from my crappy monitor?

I didn't think that such an issue would happen like this. When you buy a game or something, it says to make sure your video card is at a certain level, etc, but they never mention about, "Make sure your Monitor is good enough!"

A little confused right now.

JBurden