1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean install of os question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by michelle9, Aug 15, 2004.

1. michelle9

michelle9 Member

I am doing a clean install of windows xp and am wondering if the following is possible: I have an external hard drive upon which I have some programs and files on. Can I install the new os, hook up my external drive and transfer the files and programs on my external before I have to re-formatt it? Right now it's been formatted using windows me and there's that whole fat32 thing I'm trying to get rid of. Or am I out of luck and have to just face the fact that I'm in for a day of re-installation? Also, I'm adding a second internal hard drive, should I wait to install until after the os change or does it even matter? Thank you for any answers you may have to offer.
    Michelle

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Michelle, If I'm reading your post right, you can do the clean install of XP on the internal HD using NTFS file system. Then hook up the external and transfer any files you want to the internal drive. Shouldn't be any problems with that. Then when all the file you want are transfered, reformat the external to NTFS also. You could try the convert command on the external but I'm not sure if that works on an external HD or not.

Jerry

3. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Wow, good news for a change! Thanks!
    Michelle

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Just wondered if you managed to install your os and swap things etc.

I always get terrified changing the file system with data on my system - it sometimes fails - be warned. I would always backup my PC first with Norton Ghost.

5. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Yes, everything worked out. It did turn into the install from hell but it all ultimatly worked out...Upon the first clean install I went directly to Windows Update and promptly got the Sasser worm. After 3 hours of trying to get rid of it, I finally got the bright idea to just do another clean install to get rid of it. Then after 2 days of downloading, I once again got it. Nice. I was able to save another 2 days of download time by copying the set-up folders onto my external hard drive, another clean install and then copy the folders back onto my C drive and that worked very well. So at least now I know that I have all the typical downloads on my external and can at least save days of time in the future. I'm extremely happy with Windows XP by the way and despite all the problems (most likely self induced for the most part), am very happy I switched.

6. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Now Ghost your PC ! Save you hours if it ever goes wrong again