1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clipping of EAC rips

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marren, Feb 22, 2004.

1. marren

marren Member

Hi!
    I have a problem with EAC. When I rip a cd it seems that the peak level becomes about +1 to +.5 dB resulting in several samples clipping. I wonder if anyone has the same problem and if they've found a solution.
    cheers
    Marren

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

What format are you ripping/encoding to?

3. marren

marren Member

Mostly to wav for burning, in some cases mp3 using external LAME encoder v3.95.1 and the --alt-standard preset. I'm a bit confused since from what I've read clipping shouldn't be a problem when ripping to wav.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I asked about the format because lossy formats like mp3 can cause clipping on decoding of tracks that haven't clipped before. To deal with this you can use replaygain/mp3gain.
    http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org

Something similar can happen if you use an equalizer (or other DSPs). Even if you only lower some bands and leave the other at 0 position, clipping can happen.

I'm not completely sure what you're talking about, though:
    CD audio (16 bit PCM) can contain sample values between -32768 and +32767. Clipping would mean sample values out of this range - but these can't be stored on CD ... ;)
    [nitpicking mode: off]
    OTH many recent Pop/Rock CDs are mastered too loud using e.g. dynamics compression and also amplification to levels that introduce clipping (= sample values that would be out of +/-32767/8 range after amplification but are truncated to +/-32767/8).
    Depending on what program you've used to analyse your rips, peak levels > 0 are normal. For these programs peak level doesn't mean minimum/maximum sample value but they use some algorithm to judge perceived loudness. In this case "several samples clipping" would mean that there are more than 2 samples in a row with minimum or maximum sample value. As said above this is a sign of clipping that has happend during mastering, not during ripping. Another intersting link about this:
    http://loudnessrace.net

5. marren

marren Member

Ok that might be it. Thanks for your help.