1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clone DVD 2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joschez, Mar 15, 2005.

1. joschez

joschez Regular member

Does it work for you? It works great for me. I could back up the whole movie in about 40 min. Including burning time.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I agree. CloneDVD2 is a very fine app :)

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Very good indeed :) pretty much all I use unless a lot of compression is required then I switch it up to DVDCopy3... You might want to give that one a try too ;-)

4. trust121

trust121 Member

wen you guys use that clone dvd do you guys rip the moivie to the HD first? does that program also work on dvds with the "black book" protection problem (the guy with green shorts that jumps back and forth on the screen). thanks -trust

5. joschez

joschez Regular member

I actually have never seen "the "black book" protection problem (the guy with green shorts that jumps back and forth on the screen)" Is this something new? If I ever have a problem I use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie, then I use Alcohol 120% to load it on an Emulated Drive, then I use the Clone DVD 2 to shink the movie.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No need to rip the movie to the hard drive if you use AnyDVD with CloneDVD2. They can both be bought together at the same time and you will save some money :)
    CloneDVD2 isnt a encoder at all. In other words it won't break any encryption thats where AnyDVD comes into play and so far AnyDVD has been one of the fastest proggys out there to update there software.
    Now if you are looking at just ripping the movie to the hard drive first with something like Decrypter then you can use CloneDVD that way also, but it is much faster and easier IMO to just have AnyDVD running in the backgroud while you use CloneDVD2. Again though if you wanna stay the route of ripping the movie to the hard drive first though then DVD Copy3 would be the way to go because it is much better at encoding video.. :) CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD just make a very good combination and can be bought at the same website (Slysoft) together for a reasonable price. I think its 59$ for both together and free life time upgrades. :)

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Oh yeah one other thing is all of those programs let you try before you buy! So it can't hurt to try them out and actually pick the best combination for your needs :)

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

just a little curious why you would do that step? There really is no need?

9. joschez

joschez Regular member

I rather work with the mds files than the VFO files, and its just that I'm used to Alcohol.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah but your adding a step in there that is totally unecessary.. After you have ripped with Decrypter all you need to do is open up the files in ClonDVD2...

Oh well to each his own I guess. As long as your happy with it then so am I :)

Peace :)

11. joschez

joschez Regular member

Thats true, I guess I'm too used to Alcohol :)

12. trust121

trust121 Member

bbmayo.. i tried the way you said..i ripped the dvd using dvd decryptor.then i ran it through clonedvd2 and it said that the files were too big.. am i doing something wrong? thanks

13. joschez

joschez Regular member

what movie are you trying to burn? I got error with the grudge. I just used DVD Shrink.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@trust121

I don't know. What exactly are you doing?

Need to know the steps you are doing? I have never seen that problem with CloneDVD2 and I have opened up 10GB of files in there before :)

15. trust121

trust121 Member

ok the steps i am using: (tring to burn bourne supremacy)

* i rip the dvd using dvd decryptor.

* then i open the ripped files that was saved on my comp using clonedvd2..

* once i get to the write/burn part of clonedvd2 i get an error. "creation of dvd was not sucessful"

I dunno know what im doing wrong.. i guess ill try messing with the program a little more..

thanks again

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@trust121

I have a suggestion for you. Go to my website and follow the guide there on using CloneDVD2 and let me know how it goes then?

Link is in my signature for the website

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  17. trust121

trust121 Member

bbmayo.. i checked out your guide.. you put that ish down.. looks really simple! thats a great guide.. I'll try it later when i get home, im at school all day today.. I do have one question however. I use my dvd writer to read and burn dvds. should i buy a sperate dvd drive just for reading disks and leave my dvd writer for just burning? and for the mean time til i get money can i do the same process as your guide with just one dvd drive.. i hope i make sense.. thanks a lot. -trust

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You don't have to but another DVD drive, but they are less than 25$ for a good one and they will save on wear and tear to your burner. Plus a good regular DVD ROM will rip a DVD much much faseter than any Writer. May I recommend this drive
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-409&depa=0
    I have owned several (7) DVD drives and I find that this LiteON is a very good dependable and fast drive. It is also less than $24. If you decide to get a DVD ROM just make sure it is a good one because some just won't rip DVD's very good. You can look around in the forum for suggestion. I would be willing to bet if anyone has that same drive I gave you the link to would agree it is a very good drive :)

19. trust121

trust121 Member

bbmayo.. thanks again for all your help. ill prolly buy a dvd drive in a few weeks or when i can come up with the money.. i might just buy the drive from computer stores in my area.. their not bad in price 25 bucks or less as well.. i just dont want to pay for shipping if i do get it online.. The ones ive seen at the local comp shops are: sony, pioneer and liteon.. are the sony and pioneer drives good? also what else should i be looking at before i buy one.. thanks again!

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I also have a Sony and Pioneer drive, but IMO the LiteON blows both of those drives away when it comes to ripping a DVD. I believe LiteON made there drive especially for that purpose. :)

LiteOn's newest drives have this
    [bold]SMART-X(*1) Smart Monitoring & Adjusting Read-speed Technology for eXtraction[/bold]
    That would be a good thing to look for also these features, but most newer drives should have atleast this..
    Buffer: 512KB
    Access Time: 120ms
    Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
    Data Transfer Rate: DVD-ROM:21600 KB/s

Those are some good things to look for at a minumum..
    Good luck :)