1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD DVD-5 Bad Disks

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Suntower, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Suntower

Suntower Member

Hi,

I've been happily using CloneDVD for a couple of years now. Recently, for the 1st time, I tried using the DVD-5 option to condense the entire DVD contents onto one DVD-R. (Prior to this I always used the DVD+RL option and split the DVD contents onto two DVD+/-Rs. This always worked flawlessly.)

Anyway, I started using the DVD-5 option and I've noticed that =sometimes= I get stutters and dropouts. Usually they are at the beginning of the disc and sometimes it clears up. Sometimes it doesn't. But what I've noticed is that it happens a LOT more with some DVD+/-Rs than others. IOW: it seems as though some 'batches' of blank discs are crappier than others.

So...
    1. Are some brands known to be better than others in this regard?

2. Is there some way to 'pre-scan' a blank disc and tell if it's going to record properly or not?

3. Is there some error checking in CloneDVD which can check that the data was written properly?

4. Are DVD+Rs intrinsically more reliable than DVD-R's? (My burner can use either?)

Thanks!

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Hi 1.General consensus on this forum rate Ty's and Verbatims for media +r with bitsetting to DVD rom gives compatibility for players some things to check is how fast your burning and if the firmwares up to date on your burner also what your setting is for disc space and are you doing movie only or complete disc. Chris

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

chris gave you some good advise..... I'll elaborate a little more.

here is a media guide:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    this will give you some indication on what's decent out there.... don't take this guide as gospel but it does give a look into quality disks available...... I disagree with it's rating on TDK.... don't buy those... get Taiyo Yuden (MADE IN JAPAN) or Maxell or Verbatim! the MIJ rule is best and then Verbatim.... ok ok.... many members swear by Verbatim but I never had a bad Taiyo Yuden disk in over 3000 burns! So I stick with TYs until their quality goes down! you can buy TYs online at Supermediastore.com, Rima.com, Meritline.com and other online stores... look for the best sales. Verbatim is the only exception to the MIJ rule. they are made in Taiwan/Singapore and are top notch disks........

why am I stressing about quality disks:
    because you are using crappy media that your player doesn't like! Media is the #1 reason why you get this! there are other reasons, such as burning speeds (stick to half the rated speed of the disk), burning too close to the outer edge of the disk (try setting your program to burn no closer than 4400MB.... some members only burn to 4300MB), and make sure you have no finger prints or smudges on the disk! follow these tricks of the trade and you'll have better results.

I'm a little confused about your statement:
    the DVD5 option will transcode the DVD to fit onto a single sided blank DVD (4.38GB) and a DVD+-R DL (which is a DVD9) will do a one to one exact copy (no transcoding needed) to fit onto a Dual Layer blank DVD (8.4GB or so). so why are you splitting your disks into two if you're using a DL disk?? [​IMG]

4. Suntower

Suntower Member

Hello Chris & IHoe...

I'm trying to copy my library one or two at a time, so I'm certainly no expert.

1. I began trying to make 'transcode' (DVD-5) copies only a month or two ago. Before that, I used DVD-XCopy or then CloneDVD and always 'split' the content onto 2 disks.

2. I do not have a dual-layer burner. Perhaps I should get one. But I have tried using DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs and they both seemed to work OK.

3. I tried 'transcoding' about the time I bought a couple hundred TDK discs at a local mega-mart. I guess I trusted them because they were known for making good -audio- tape back in the day. Probably a bad assumption. So perhaps it -is- the discs. I'll try another brand right away. I had no idea the disc could make such a difference.

4. I used to have maybe one bad burn in 50 discs. Now, it's like every 2nd or 3rd with these discs so I thought there was something inherently more risky with DVD-5 burning.

Thanks for all the information.

ONE QUESTION: Isn't there some way that CloneDVD can 'verify' the quality of a burn? It's a drag to have to individually load every DVD into my player just to see if it worked.

THANKS!

---JC

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

If you have Nero you can get a good idea of your burn in the CD DVD drive speed. What brand burner do you have and at what speed are you burning at? I think you'll find a lot of your problem is media whether brand or firmware or speed on your burner.Chris

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

7. Suntower

Suntower Member

Thanks to all. I just did a burn-off between some Sony, Verbatim and TDKs and sure enough... it's always the TDK's that barf, regardless of burn speed.

Live and learn.

---JC

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

we all are still learning! and evolving into burning fools! LOL