1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD2 - problems with media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Macker22, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Macker22

Macker22 Member

Hi guys, anyone else have an issue with DVD - in CloneDVD2?

When I go to backup existing files I get the following message: 'Popup: Please insert recordable media into drive D:' (background: 'waiting....drive not ready')

Full details and steps:
    Im using a Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-R2412
    BENQ 8X DVD-R
    CloneDVD2 version 2.5.3.3

Write existing data
    browse to the location of the movie files
    Click 'Go'

Popup: Please insert recordable mdeia into drive D:
    (background: 'waiting....drive not ready'

Would be very greatful if anyone could point me in the right direction. Cheers.

2. animedvds

animedvds Member

Hey Macker, i've been having problems w/clonedvd as well..someone suggested i try using 4x disks but i don't have any at the moment perhaps you can try a 4x disk if you have one..from what i've noticed the 3 of us on here having probs. w/clonedvd are all using 8x disks

3. Macker22

Macker22 Member

Thanks for the reply, interesring stuff, this may be daft also but I wonder would it help to try DVD-R/W instead of DVD-R?

I'll try that and a x4 DVD tomorrow also, and post back if anything improves

Thanks again
    Cormac

4. animedvds

animedvds Member

R/W is a great idea i've messed up a ton of disks trying to figure my problem..and your welcome that's what aD is for

5. brobear

brobear Guest

In other words, you're trying to burn a DVD in a CD writer. The drive will only read DVDs. [bold]Your Toshiba SD-R2412 will not burn DVDs.[/bold] You can only burn CDs.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

You'll need to buy a DVD burner if you want to record DVDs. If you're limited for space in the PC case, you can get a dual format burner that will burn both CDs and DVDs. Be sure to get one that is -/+ R/RW for both CD and DVD. The ROM part means "read only".

[bold]In this case CloneDVD2 isn't the problem.[/bold] The cd burner won't recognize a blank DVD.

7. Macker22

Macker22 Member

That explains everything, guess the guy who sold it to me lied, my bad for not checking it out further!

I assume there is now rip/patch/hack that would
    change this? (something I could run on the laptop)

If not, any suggestions of good DVD burners that would work well with this laptop?

thanks for the informative replies!

8. brobear

brobear Guest

No magic patches on that one. This calls for an equipment upgrade. PC World online has some good sections on equipment.

Some of those sales guys don't even know what they're selling. It pays to do your homework when buying equipment and know what you're going after instead of being sold something in the store. Good luck.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

I forgot a couple of things. There is SVCD which you can record using your CD burner. Read the DVD and then record SVCD. InterVideo's DVDCopy2 will do it. You would probably have to rip the DVD to the hard drive with something like DVD Decrypter and then use the program to transcode and burn the movie.

You can also check out DivX. I'm not very familiar with it, but it may be of help. Check out the Doctor DivX app, it's more complete.

DVD is better quality though.