1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

close captioning when renaming VOB to MPG

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by bokabunar, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bokabunar

bokabunar Member

I seem to lose the embedded closed captioning when I rename a single VOB file to MPG. My goal is to stream the VOB to media center extenders in my house. The DVD has closed captioning which can be shown or hidden via a TV or MCE2K5 extender (such as xbox360). But when I use DVD Decrypter to create a single VOB file and I rename it to .mpg, it streams and plays fine but I lose the English Closed Caption data. The solution I am looking for would not require any transcoding of the video stream itself, although I am willing to demux / mux the VOB in order to get the closed captioning to carry over. Could this just be a setting in DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper that I am unaware of?

2. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

What works for me is using AnyDVD as a resident program that rips the regions from any DVD I feed in, and then TMPGEnc DVD Author to extract the MPG file. This procedure does keep the embedded closed captioning, as I did that on two recent DVDs.

It does not work when you have to transcode from one system to another (PAL to NTSC).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  3. bokabunar

bokabunar Member

Thanks for the info. I tried it, but TmpgEnc DVD Author seems to only want to produce a standard VIDEO_TS folder for DVD Authoring. Are you able to actually create a new .mpg or single .vob file with it that properly exposes closed captioning data?

4. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

Yes. Pick "Source setup", and then "Add DVD video". Then pick the VOB files. It will take some minutes and come out with an mpg file. The closed captioned subtitles should be on it.

5. bokabunar

bokabunar Member

Thanks again. I was able to generate the .mpg files (it splits it into two) but I still dont seem to be getting the Closed Caption data (AnyDVD running with default settings). I have tried about 4 DVDs which do show the CC data when in a dvd player. Do you have an example popular DVD title to recommend? Cheers

6. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

Wait a minute!

In my case, what I did was re-author the disc back into VOB files. In such a case I could watch the movies with the cc subtitles, which I think meant that file was preserved.

What are you doing in your case? Are you trying to watch it on your PC? Using what program?

7. bokabunar

bokabunar Member

I am actually trying to make my DVD library streamable over Windows Media Center Extenders since I have them all stored on HDD right now (all as DVD ISOs which I mount via Daemon Tools).

My end goal is to have all my movies in the same DVD quality with AC-3 encoding, but as .mpg files instead of DVD ISO images, this way they are streamable to my Xbox360s around the house from the media server. This all works as planned except that my wife and her family's english skills are not quite up to mine and they need the English subtitles/captioning data for the hearing impaired. However, when I'm watching a movie by myself I don't want them captioning.

MPG2 can handle embedded closed captioning data in both the analog and digital audio streams (this is not the same as DVD subtitles). Using compatible TVs or Media Center Extenders, closed captioning is preserved and you are able to toggle them on or off at will.

Because I have all the original DVDs and their ISO images, I can demux them with AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter into their original VIDEO_TS folders, or create a single large .VOB file (which can be renamed to a .mpg file) so I can demux them but I have not found a way to get the .mpg file into a state where the CC data actually shows up when toggled on (WMP also supports displaying of CC data as an option, and it shows up in DVR-MS files as well as TV, DVD, etc) but not the renamed .mpg files.

So, of the options available to me, transcoding is not what I am looking for in that I am not trying to split or shrink the video file, in fact, I want to preserve all the picture quality of the original DVD (I dont care about the bonus materials, menus, etc). Also available to me as an option is the ability to render the subtitle or CC data directly into the picture but this means I can't disable it and it also would require a full transcode with quality loss. In the end, I think I need to find a way to demux the VIDEO_TS/VOBs into smaller parts and then remux them back into a .VOB/.mpg file such that the CC data is actually showing up. It seems that VOB files and MPG files are not the same thing, but since a renambed VOB file works perfectly in every other regard for streaming over my Media Center 2005 server, I guess what I need in the end is a VOB file that, when played in WMP10 for example, displays the closed caption data (when that option is enabled in WMP).

:) Cheers

8. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

Now I can't quite remember how I did it. What I mean is that I tried several combinations to make things work.

What I had were two DVD copies that refused to play on my PC or home player, showing a message saying "This player is incompatible with the region marking of this disc".

As my player can play all regions and AnyDVD opened up all regions from any inserted disc, then the problem was elsewehre. I also wanted to preserve the full original quality and keep the closed captions subtitles, to be played with or without them.

What I am not sure is if I went through Procoder, though I think I did not. Going back to the MPG file probably eliminated the lock I had, so there was no need for further work.

The original subtitles I lost, though I now suspect there should be a way to recover them. As I still have those DVDs I might try to see if there's a way to do that, though I don't know how to author-in subtitle options.

In my case I processed them as I told you and things worked fine on both records, on which I can switch the CCs on and off on my compatible Sony TV. Isn't there something in between that might be cutting the CCs?

If I am not wrong, TMPGEnc produced only one large MPG file for each disc, and as I said the CCs were preserved. That is a fact.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  9. jl2005

jl2005 Member

Don't know if this is the right thread for this question or not but here I go. I am very new to backing up of dvds, please bear with my ignorance. My son put one of my dvd backups into his portable dvd player. It played fine, but the closed captioning for the hearing impaired was showing across the bottom of the screen. I went into the player setup menu and turned off the captioning setting. It still shows them. I put other dvd backups in and tried them. It shows up in every one. Is there any way when backing up a dvd to remove the captions when copying? I would greatly appreciate any help that is out there. Thanks.

10. scubacat

scubacat Member

I am having the same issue. I don't want the subtitles automatically on the screen. I use MTR and Popcorn with a mac to do my copies. I have been ripping the whole disc and then burning only the main title. Is there a file I should be deleting? something I'm missing?

11. scubacat

scubacat Member

Actually, what I get isn't subtitles, it's closed captioning. Because included are things like The wind whistles, japanese speaking, etc.