1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaster King needs help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by skydog, May 5, 2004.

1. michigan

michigan Guest

Did I actually help someone?! How's it going with you skydog?

2. skydog

skydog Guest

Hello,
    I'm here, got in from work and tried to burn. Got yet another error message. Uninstalled everything first and downloaded shrink and dvd decrypter again.
    Something has to be going wrong with the burner itself. I've tried everything else in so many combinations it's insane. I'm doing exactly what thousands of others are doing but I'm getting error messages. It just does not add up. I've used so many different brands (I almost always use the good stuff, if it is taking my time to burn why burn to cheap stuff. That would be a waste.) that I would hate to imagine that all of them have been damaged. I'm going to try to bring it back to best buy this weekend. Plextor px 708a
    Thanks for all the love from everybody. I'm in the game but I'm injured.

The latest error definitely looks like a media or drive error.
    Failed to write sectors 2146032-2146047
    Invalid field in CDB

Thanks for all of the love and I will be in touch with all.
    Thanks again.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Skydog,

We need to do a few things - not to worry, they're easy.
    A question first, Are you running NTSC or FAT32 ?

Now, Let's go into msconfig and empty everything - we don't want a lot of stuff running when you're doing backups -

One example:

Bad Skydog, Bad Skydog, Do not touch Ms. PC when she is busy working -

DVD Decrypter is a true Hog - It wants sole use of your PC's resources - everything !

You will get error after error, time after time - take a break - really ! There are some other programs that will let you work while they're working but the worst by far (No contest.) is DVD Decrypter.

And lastly, Come on all of you - mastaprk, A coaster contest ?? Jeees guys (Skydog - 30 ??) When we're working on a system, we use RW media - come on fellows, even I can't afford 10, 20, 30 or more coasters - don't be silly - I don't want to hear coasters - RW guys - (Wheeeew, what a group, lost in the forest with no breadcrumb trail - )

Skydog, Good Buddy - After we turn off all the stuff in msconfig lets go back to page 1 of this thread. Forget everything else and go through each and every step, - don’t add anything or, let even one thing out and let’s see where we go -

OK children, let’s go out in the yard, it’s a beautiful day, let’s play Baseball :p)

Pete

4. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

I've never gotten a DVDRW disc & I was really anxious to get started (that's what youth does to a person oldtimer). I lost my patience and started burning away with the software that came with my drive and other software I downloaded and the POS DVD X Copy Gold that I paid ~$100 for. After the worthless DVD's I made, I ended up finally finding Afterdawn & can't recall last coaster made.

5. michigan

michigan Guest

Most deffinetly to start use a RW if it works you can do a disc copy from the RW to an R. (Dang! I missed that one Pete). Skydog, not to chastise but we did tell you to leave the computer alone, shame on you. Seriously DVD burning uses a lot of your system leave it alone and let it work. You should certainly use msconfig to shut down everything running sometimes that is enough to make your system cough up hairballs.
    Hurry back now and we will get you going.

6. skydog

skydog Guest

I did not get a chance to read the replies but I will tomorrow. Thanks for replying.
    A couple of dvd's are playing on my computer. (I upgraded the player) They stop where there is evidently an error.
    I burned another and now they are all coming out that there is a sector that was unable to be burned.
    ?media ?burner
    Thanks,
    John
    I will got on it tomorrow

7. skydog

skydog Guest

If I implied that I've been touching the computer while it was burning then I misinformed the public. During a burn I shut the door to the room and put up a child gate so nobody would even tread near mr. decrypter.
    I will try the msconfig soon (I'm working and my wife is going away on business tomorrow so I do not dare go near the computer, unless she is counting sheep.)

How do I tell if I have NTSC?

I got another error message (prior to scuba pete's second post and it indicated trouble burning to sectors but this time they were in different locations.)
    In msconfig you would like me to shut everything off in the backround?

Thanksagain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. skydog

skydog Guest

I read navy seal pete's message again and the quote. That typing thing was early on and I haven't been doing that since you older fellas roughed me up.
    Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!!

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I believe ScubaPete mistyped.

I think he was asking if you were using a NTFS or FAT 32 file system on your hard drive. I hope he didn't mean NTSC or PAL video formats.

You can right click on the drive and select Properties.
    The file system you are using should be shown on the General tab.
    If it shows that you are using NTFS you can ignore the rest of this if you want.

The reason we ask is that to use DVD Shrink with DVD Decrypter you need to use large ISO image files. These files are usually too large for a FAT 32 drive because there is a 4GB file size limit on those drives.

I don't think this applies in this case but should be checked anyway. This would cause an error during the process of encoding the ISO image files to the hard drive. You would get this error before the burning process has started.

One of the biggest problems when people make a upgrade from Win98-ME to WinXP is they skip the part at the beginning where there is the option to convert their drives from FAT or FAT32 to NTFS before installing WinXP.

NTFS file system is what you should be using on XP.
    The only reason to continue to use a FAT or FAT32 file system is if you are also running another OS like Win98-ME or Linux.

Even after installing WinXP you can convert your FAT or FAT 32 drives to NTFS.
    Open Help and Support and search for Convert NTFS to get complete directions.
    Example:
    Click Start - Run and type.
    Convert C: /FS:NTFS

Before you make the conversion to NTFS.
    It is a good idea to both defragment the drive and run a error check fixing both file system errors and recovery of bad sectors.
    Right click on your drive and select Properties and these options are on the Tools tab.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Auwww, there we go, gettin the "Members" and de "Junior Members" back on the same track - Sometimes they go sooo very fast that their feet don't even touch the ground. When they slow down a bit - their brains begin to work Oooohhhh so very much better -)

11. skydog

skydog Guest

Thank You!
    I am running NTFS.
    I believe that I successfully burned a +R disc!

The things that concern me are
    a) it is only one
    b) I went into msconfig and where it said services I checked disable all, except for the two essential files. (in attempt to shut off programs running in the background) Well, I guess it was foolish of me to do this because I really didn't know what I was doing/turning off. It was done during a fit of desperation, "I plead insanity and that is my final answer."

I went back into msconfig to turn some items back on and despite unchecking and checking the box again and clicking on enable, the computer is not running the files. They say, "Stopped." I don't know what they are or do, and Idon't know if they will affect my computer's performance.

Can somebody tell me what they're running on windows xp and/or what should be running?
    Under msconfig (I know this can vary)

c) I tried to burn on an rw disc (memorex) I did not know how to format the disc.
    Decrypter formatted the disc then burned a video but after burning my drive did not recognize the disc/video, said no disc in the drive.
    I believe that this is a memorex thing. @*!#*^

d) I know that my home dvd player does not like burned dvd's it's 4 years old. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Once again thank you all!!!!!!!!!

I'm scared to burn another disc for fear that it may not burn correctly. I've been trying for so long just to burn one that I've lost complete vision that I started this to back-up my dvd collection so they won't end up like my cd collection.

12. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Many of the things that start up when your computer starts can be shut down. Look a the Icons on your task bar in the notification area (Bottom right).

Right click on them and see which ones you can exit from. That will shut those down.
    MSCONFIG will allow you to set which items Start each time your computer starts. You should only be dealing with the Start tab. It works ok but not great. If you want a better way you can get a startup manager that may make it easier. Do a Google search and you will find many.

As for services. You probably should not mess with those unless you really know what you are doing. You should check all the services MSCONFIG shows and reboot your computer.

If you want to learn about services and what they do and what can be turned off Blackviper.com is the best.
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK there Skydog, we didn’t do anything bad to your PC. By “Disabling all” we just stopped your programs from running “Automatically”. The only thing you want to run “Automatically” is your Anti-virus programs and your firewalls. By running XP, all your essential programs are being handled by XP (i.e. systray, explorer, etc.) You should be able to go back to msconfig and click “Enable all” and reboot - it should all come back.

IF IT DOESN’T COME BACK - Go to your System Restore and choose a date prior to when you disabled everything and allow it to re-set your computer.

I am sooo very glad you burned your disc - God is good and all is right with the world :D)

NOW - as for your backup, you say you burned it to a +R. Your standalone being 4 yrs. old probably doesn’t like +R media - DVD Players of that era had a tendency to only play -R stuff. Good news, the “el Cheapo” Players of today love just about everything and will even play a dirty dinner dish if the food scraps aren’t too large. Believe it or not, these players can be purchased for as little as $39.99 and, when these are on special sale, you can get a $10.00 rebate.

Many times after burning a disc I’ve found that I have to reboot my PC (kind of like to clear it’s little brain) and then it will play the DVD.

What we need to do now is burn another DVD (using an RW disc) to make sure we still have the “Knack”. If we have problems once again, go to msconfig and “uncheck” all those programs we don’t need running when we Boot our system up.
    Again we go to “Startup”, slide “Location” far to the right so that you can see the “Command” column - you’ll be able to see the program’s name. Decide what programs you really want. (as you’ll see - every program you ever downloaded is there vying for a startup slot. It truly is incredible how many programs we allow to start hen we boot up.

Giving us more resources will make all our programs run faster and will even make out boot up time quicker. Let us know how you made out -

Cheers mate,

Pete

14. skydog

skydog Guest

Thanks again everybody.
    I got another error message. Sky-error-dog or errordog for short.
    I think that this disc is just dirty or damaged but I got an error that said something to the effect of unable to isolate or detect volume. Might have been an iso error.
    I clicked retry, then ignore, but the error message went away so I could not write it down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

15. mlheands

mlheands Member

I have gotten the error "please use valid iso" all you have to do is end the name of the backup with .ISO(where you choose the folder to save to)and it will burn.

16. burning2

burning2 Member

Help! I'm getting "DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed! Unable to lock volume for exclusive access. Reason: Access is denied" in DVD Decrypter This is after I use DVDShrink and have it automatically launch DVDDecrypter. At first it gave me a message saying that the information was too big to fit on a DVD, but I told it to go ahead anyway. I figured I would just loose the end of the credits anyway. Then it gave me the other error. I told it to Ignore it and of course it went to 99% complete and wouldn't ever finish, so I had to End the Application manually. Needless to say, the movie doesn't play. First of all, how can it be that the movie is too big to fit on a DVD when I used DVD Shrink and it never gave me a red line after analyzing? Second, how can I remove Extra features completely? I put the ratio at the lowest percentage possible (about 43%) meaning the highest compression therefore leaving more room for the main movie, but can't figure out how to remove them completely. I'm using Memorex DVD+R and have a very new external Sony burner. This is now, my first coaster. I've been burning fine up until now. Anyone know what the error could be?

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  17. cm42066

cm42066 Member

Scuba Pete is the ULTIMATE!

No where else could I find relief from the roller coasters. I was making 8 coasters for every good copy with several of the $$$$$ programs. Pete is the relief!

I was using a IBM multi disc burner. Now I am using a 6x IBM reader and a USB2 TDK 880. NOT A SINGLE COASTER WITH PETE'S HELP!

The media makes no diff. Maxwell G03 G04 Memorex and several no names, 1x, 2x, 4x. Just perfect copies.

Follow his advice and you will be sooooooo happy.

Thank you Uncle.

C

18. john179

john179 Active member

Just like to say respect to scuba pete for the time and effort he is putting in solveing this problem and to the rest of use guys helping out.This is why i like this site so much as everyone is willing to help.

Much respect
    john179

19. john179

john179 Active member

Total respect to all you guys who have helped out with this problem.This is why i like this site so much as everyone is willing to help out.Just takeing a quick browse through the forum you can see how many people really are so helpful.Total respect to the old man scuba pete who always seems to be there when you need him.
    Total respect to you all

20. john179

john179 Active member

Sorry for babbling on did not think my first maessage got to you guys this is why you got double respect not that you have not earned it