1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coasters....and more coasters!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by paulp01, Sep 10, 2004.

1. paulp01

paulp01 Member

Hi all, I'm having real problems tring to burn DVD's. I just bought my first DVD burner NEC Dual Layer, and 50 Ritek disc'c. My PC is a an XP2200, 256meg, 80Gig HD. I’m using DVD Shrink, Roxio Easy DVD Creator 6 and Nero.

I started by using shrink and Roxio to back up a DVD.... got a coaster. Tried creating DVD slideshows of my pictures (VOB’s) with Roxio.... got a coaster. Tried burning a friends movie from an existing burn disc (via HD) using nero .....and get a coaster.

By coaster I mean it does not error during the burn, the files are there, and I can normally (but not always) play them using powerdvd. The will not play with windvd, or one of 3 domestic DVD players I’ve tried. The domesic players all normally play burnt DVD’s (ie ones friends have lent me).

I’ve tried changing the media, I’ve tried different DVD players, I’ve even tried a different DVD burner (freecom USB2 external) and I still get coasters. By using different combinations of the software I’ve pretty much eliminated software problems as well.

I’ve managed to burn 1 movie, and one side show of pictures, and backed up all my photos (2gig). That pretty bad out of about 25 discs!

The only two things that have always been in the loop while burning have been me, and the computer.

The only thing I can think of with the computer is the memory, is 256meg enough. Bear in mind that I seem to be able to burn data from the HD fine (pictures). Its playback of burnt VOB’s that seem to be the problem.

Any ideas?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

The first thing that I see that maybe causing your problems, is that you have roxio and nero.Roxio conflicts with just about everything,especially nero.Your ram is a bit small, but ive seen people rip, and burn with less.
    You might want to choose either nero(my choice) or roxio,but not both.
    You may also want to go buy some dvdrw's untill you get your problems figured out.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  3. debs182

debs182 Member

First of all get rid of roxio it's crap. I use nero when burning fron disc to disc. Try uninstalling both roxio and nero, then install the latest version of nero. If you're using dvd shrink to analyse and encode films, when the film finish's encoding it will as you already know create an audio video ts folder. The best programme in my opinion for burning these type of folders is tempeg. If your discs still don't work i'm afraid i'm out of ideas :-(

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

ummmmmmm
    If you have nero, why are you using TMPGEnc?Nero works great for me, burning the VIDEO_TS folder.
    try this guide:http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

maybe both of you should give that guide a look :)

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Also just to make sure, close down any other applications you got runnung in the background to free up some extra ram (stuff you don't need while making burning a disc). EXPLORER.EXE takes a good chunk of memory to run plus shrink and nero running also will take up memory.

Follow -jim_dandy- advice and choose one or the other of burning programs. My choice would be nero also.

post back and let us know how it goes.

6. paulp01

paulp01 Member

I wanted roxio to create DVD slide shows, and home movies. What should I be using instead, ie something that does not conflict with nero. In the short term I'm happy to drop roxio.

I've never played a -RW disc on my DVD (Yamaha), is it likely to be able to play them if its ok with -R's. The manual's says it does not support -RW, but it says the same thing about -R (CD and DVD), but its been fine with everything up to now!

7. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hi Paulp
    I agree with the others, get rid of Roxio. I had the same problem when I first started. Uninstall Roxio and use Shrink/Nero

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

well at least with the rw's you can tell if you did things right if it plays in your windvd

9. paulp01

paulp01 Member

Thanks for the excellent advice!

I removed both roxio, and nero. Reinstalled nero.....3 discs burnt with no coasters.

Why didn't I come here before!!!!

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Glad to hear about your success,dont be a stranger.Come back when you have more problems, or to help others. :)