1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coasters!!!!! (writing errors)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jme1, Apr 23, 2005.

1. jme1

jme1 Member

I am using DVD decrypter, dvd shrink, and a Mitsumi DVD+R/RW drive. I am able to burn SEVERAL movies in a row and then suddenly...my disks just start getting errors. I get writing error after error using several different methods, even if I use dvd xcopy or another program. I really have no idea what could be causing this. The last time this happened I deleted my primary and secondary IDE channels and then was able to burn ~10 movies before this happened again. I originally thought it was my DMA and PIO settings being changed but I checked them before and after and they are still the same as when it worked. Also, I don't think this has anything to do with the copyright protection because I can suddenly not burn movies I previously could and so forth. Any help would be great.

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Have you cleaned out the temp movie files and have you defraged your hard drive recently? If not it might be worth doing, certainly won't hurt.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What is the brand and media code of your blank media? Also have you updated the firmware for your dvdrw? What speed are you burning?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  4. jme1

jme1 Member

I use Memorex DVD+R for virtually all of my movies as far as "code" goes I have to plead ignorant, not sure what you mean. Also, I have JUST defragged my harddrive so maybe I can give you an update as to how that goes. Also, yes I have flashed my driver. And I burn at MAX 4X speed for my driver though alot of times when I burn with decrypter I think it says more like 2.4-3 most of the time....I think thats all the questions, thanks for your help.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Memorex: This is probably the likely bugger. Notice all the different manufacturers for their media:
    Memorex DVD+R 16X (CMCMAG M01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (MBIPG101-R03-000)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x Printable (MCC-003-000)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (CMC MAG E01)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PHILIPSC08)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PRODISCR03)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (CMC MAG.W01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (INFODISCA01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (RICOHJPNW01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (CMC MAG.W02)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (MKM-A02)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPNW11)
    Memorex DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG.....)
    Memorex DVD-R 2x (TAIYOYUDEN..)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (CMC MAG. AF1)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (MBI 01RG20)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (ProdiscS03)
    Memorex DVD-R 8X (CMC MAG AE1)
    Memorex DVD-RW 1x (ProdiscDVDRW)
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (RITEKW01) MINI DVD-RW 1.36GB
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (RITEKW01....)
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (TDK502sakuM3)
    MemorexDVD-RAM 2x (Optodisc)

Take notice, Look at how many of those are made by CMC MAG. C-magnetics corporation isn't highly recommended. This media can cause many issues. That's the first thing to do,try a better media.

Use dvd decrypter to find out which ones you have.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I concur. Memorex = very inconsistant unless used for target practice. You can do a search for memorex media and read all the bad reviews. Use this to determine media code http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ or dvdd as stated by saugmon.

Hey froggy, where'd you find that list of mid codes for memorex? I likey.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dogbomb has a sticky towards the top of the dvd-r media forum. Says something like this: "Fine list of media codes". He's missing a few,but has a crapload of different brands/speeds/and formats.
    A very nice sticky!
    Edit, Here it is: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks saugmon and Dogbomb.

9. jme1

jme1 Member

Thanks all. I checked and my media type is RICOHJPN or I guess this means it is made by Ricoh Co. Ltd. Is this manufacturer unreliable as well? I thought Memorex was fairly relialbe....Thanks again for the pointers; all of your help is extremely appreciated.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ricohjpn's are pretty good. I ran into those codes on all my maxell +4x media and that's a lot of different spindle sizes,some sony +4x,some verbatim +4x,and Tdk +2.4x rw's. I have not had any issues with them.Ricohjpn-01 were the actual code on all of them,except the tdk +rw's.

You must be using the memorex +4x,which has at least 4 manufacturers and the ricoh's should be the best of all of them.But the mfg code will likely change when you change to different quantity of spindles or you buy them at a separate time.The printable +4x looks like a very good mfg code: Mcc-003-00.

Like most burners, there are certain media that they don't like. Mine happens to be the verbatim -4x digital movie quality discs with the mfg code: MCC-01rg20.A very good media,but I had 1 coaster out of my first 2.It's the only actual burn error I had this year! So I will avoid using them on both my benq 1620's. Those +4x digital movie quality discs are sweet!

11. jme1

jme1 Member

The only problem is I suspect it isn't the media, or at least not entirely, because I burn like 3-4 coasters in a row, get pissed, defrag, clean-up, and delete my IDE channels and then poof they work again. Fairly sure the cleanup isn't the problem, so defrag or channels? (if DMA and PIO aren't changing what could be?) Thanks again for input, and I'm an expert by no means, I'm just leaning away from media as the problem because of the situation here.

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jme1, you may have gotten a hold of a bad batch. Still sounds like media quality fluctuating withing that spindle. They can do numerous things to us. When you get around 5 or 6 burn errors in a row,windows automatically reverts your ide's to pio mode for safety reasons.

Are these actual burn error coasters,where you can actually look at bottom of disc to where the end of the burn is?

Where at on those backup discs are they failing: Beginning-leadin phase/middle/or end of the backup?

Or are they failing on playback?

Everyone has their own definition of coasters so we need to know actual place they error out. A burn log post would be helpful.

Also, do you have some sort of program to repair your registry errors?

13. jme1

jme1 Member

They are actual burn error coasters because I can see where it stopped burning on the disk. This typically happens toward the end of the burn(after 50% and usually closer to 80% I believe, never during finalization or anything like that). As far as playback....well they won't because they never finalize. I would like to use snagit or something of that nature to get you a screenshot but, as I said in my previous post, after deleting IDE channels and defragging they are workinig again (coincidence?) Regardless, the problem is aggravating and likely to return so I really do appreciate your help.

"Also, do you have some sort of program to repair your registry errors?"....I don't know anything about this.
    On a side note, how long do I have to stick around or a certain number of posts before it stops saying newbie, just out of curiousity.

14. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

I just to put my 2 cents in regarding Memorex Media - I have been using Memorex and ONLY Memorex since Day One (going on 3 yrs) and I have not HAD one problem with their media skipping or freezing. I have done research for friends who have used Maxwell and other brands because they were skipping and now they use Memorex, I have a HP 300 Burner and I tried the 2 discs that came with my burner and they gave me nothing but trouble. So I guess what my 2 cents is - It really depends on your burner vs. your media.

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I use registry mechanic version 4.0.0.100 by pc tools ltd. I tried google for their website,but keeps bringing up my scan test. I know venom05 also has this program and refers to it quite a bit.

I do get quite a few errors,especially on my backup pc when I delete movie files.I run this program several times a week.I don't know if there is any other program that is free and better,still searching.

It has a free test scan,but like majority of others,it won't fix them till you buy it. Here are some others at this site:
    http://www.clean-registry.com/

What burner brand name and model # do you have?

16. jme1

jme1 Member

I have a Mitsumi DW-7801TE Internal DVD+R/RW Drive with the updated firmware. I am currently not home right now but when I get there I will try to look at the registry errors program.

17. jme1

jme1 Member

Ok I ran the registry check and did the free partial clean-up but to be honest I don't even know what I'm looking for......

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i think if you can do say 5/7 burns on the trot from a fresh boot up then all become cosaters after then it may be your computer! meaning that you may need more ram or hd space, it sounds like its getting bogged down abit. and maybe the ram isnt emptying out...

also defrag is good sometimes as big files and burning / converting alot puts stuff all over the shop, a slowish system combined with low ram etc causes problems, i have seen this...

also dont forget packet writing software need to be uninstalled! like INCD from nero etc...it trys to access the drive and stops it!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  19. jme1

jme1 Member

I have 60 of my 80 gig free at most times and I've never really had a problem with my computer getting slow. Anyway, the problem is back and here is the error I get:

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0] MITSUMI DW-7801TE 1.02 (D:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 1B D2 00 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write (10)-Sectors: 1823232-1823263

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretaion: No Seek Complete

If I press retry the Sense area gives slightly different numbers and says write error beside interpretation. Anyway, once again your help is appreciated. Defrag, cleanup, etc. isn't doing it this time...