1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cobra BIOS 0.3

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by ssjowowo, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

finally Cobra team released their long awated v0.3 bios. i've tested it and it works with some games that previously didn't work for v0.2. it still has the audio sync problem but at least more games and media are compatible. it has a nice interface and you can even browse a disc, flash a newer bios straight from a burned dvd(!) and much more!

2. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

How do you guys experience the mod-chip? Cuz I'm thinking of buying me one...

3. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

I was wondering this other thing about the cobra bios.
    could some programmer make it streamable somehow.
    I mean, stream it with PSO, swap and play? or is there a hardware hacking buisness involved (besides the ViperGC)

4. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

the modchip is superb if you want to play your backups (or any downloaded ones). it works the same as most modchips on other consoles and you can also flash newer bioses as they become available so that you are always uptodate. there were some issues with cobra bios 0.2 but most of them (in my case) were solved with cobra bios 0.3 including media and game compatibility. basically it's worth your money and if you have access to any means of obtaining a backuped game then i don't see why you don't have one yet :)

5. sherbet

sherbet Member

so if it can load PSOload, does it mean that we can just burn the .iso and .gcms as files NOT AS AN IMAGE?

awesome!

and 0.3 bios also means that somebody can come up with the emulators, right?

6. coldasice

coldasice Guest

Hey ssjowowo, where can I download these bios from? I've searched day in and out for the 0.2 bios and couldn't find them. Where can I get the 0.3 bios from. ALSO, will it play games with the garbage data removed? Thanks dude! :)

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You can get the 0.3 bios from here hxxp://www.purplenurple.net/Cobra03.zip ,just copy and paste this link in your internet browser and you should be able to get it.I found it off of maxconsole on the forums there haven't tested it yet though.

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

:) Careful guys, although the modchip is used to play backups, talking about the bios may get ya in trouble (I dunno, just thought i'd say something)

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah I agree Pop_Smith,but having a fake bios could also kill the system making it useless.I think it is probably a good idea to give direction for those that don't want to mess up the system.Although this is just like the Toxic bios for PS2 systems,nobody that I know of got in trouble over talking about those files.I guess it couldn't hurt to talk about these right.

10. coldasice

coldasice Guest

Hey L-Burna, thanks man!

11. speedi

speedi Member

[bold]finally Cobra team released their long awated v0.3 bios. i've tested it and it works with some games that previously didn't work for v0.2. it still has the audio sync problem but at least more games and media are compatible. it has a nice interface and you can even browse a disc, flash a newer bios straight from a burned dvd(!) and much more! [/bold]

The audio Sync can be fixed with a released audio Sync tool. I've tested it and it works. The tool is named
    ViperTemporaryAudioFix! 1.1 and you apply it to the GC-Image file.

12. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

but what about my theory?
    making a streamable thing out of the cobrabios?
    like a loader, but instead it will tell ya to swap discs.

let me explain:
    1> you stream the loader (bios)
    2> it will read your PSO disc and store the barcode thingie in the memory
    3> after that it will tell ya to swap discs (for a backup) and it will load the backup game instead.

Would that be something that can be done, or is there more involved?

13. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

yeah i already used the ViperTemporaryAudioFix but for some games i'll wait till a newer bios comes out that solves these problems cos i don't want to throw away working dvds.
    SuperTed that's not how the bios works. bios is a set of instructions built in a device that controls the flow of data and enables the hardware to communicate with the software. you can't just stream the bios to the gamecube. first of all consoles' bioses are not stored in eep roms(erasable chips) but rather in read only chips. this means it cannot be erased or bypassed by any program (software). the modchip is basically another bios that works before the original bios comes to life and can bypass or add to the original bios new instructions. there are however certain ways that with a little bit of clever programming you can fool the hardware and boot buckups, just like swap magic for ps2, but that's another story and i don't think anything similar will ever be released for the gamecube. so don't hope of just streaming the bios to the gamecube and expecting it to work because it won't.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  14. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

The 0.4 bios will be coming out sometime next week. According to their nfo...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  15. coldasice

coldasice Guest

Anyone know if in this next bios that we'll be able to play games that have had the garbage data removed? If no one knows, does anyone know an e.mail address or a site I can contact this team at to ask them if they would? Thanks!

16. ronman747

ronman747 Member

This BIOS is for the Viper chip only. Its used to flash it.

17. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

I heard that the 0.4 bios is suppose to come out in the either tomorrow or the next day. I know for one that is now gonna support multi disc games.

18. k4m1k4z3

k4m1k4z3 Member

Hey guys, just used the above link . . . .

It gave me cobra04.zip

Had tried this linnk earlier and it didnt work, so maybe it been updated.

And does the viper have an official homepage ?

19. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

The above link does indeed give you the .4 bios. lol, thats nice too know that they updated the link with the new BIOS.
    and in the new BIOS .nfo, it mentions speedi from here :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005