1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Codec Problems

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by 009, Nov 11, 2004.

1. 009

009 Member

ok, where do I start :/

A few months ago I started having problems with my video codec’s. I really can’t remember how the problem started, was it due to me instating an updated codec pack I don’t know. What happened of course was when ever I played a video, no matter what codec it was encoded it, it would crash my player and after trying to kill the crashed player, it would crash my computer.

A little history first, before this I have only used and installed Kazaa lite codec packs, and the only installed another pack, was when a later version of kazaa lite codec pack was released.

So after a week or so of not being able to watch videos, I decided to format. After this format I installed the latest version that was out of kazaa lite codec pack. Still I got the crashes. Than I uninstalled kazaa lite codec pack and installed divx and xvid separately. I kept getting the problems.. so I uninstalled installed many other codec packs and such.. wasting many hours.

After a while I noticed that if I played a video in media player classic, and quickly closed it (when the video was still and the audio kept playing.. but program was not fully crashed) the next time I opened any other video file it would work. Some problems arose out of this small fix. After intentionally crashing media player classic to watch videos I could not shut down my computer. After pressing shut down, it would crash when it was trying to close programs. So the only way I could shut down was by manually pressing the button on my box. Another problem was I could not play games after crashing mpc. Opening cs or other games would crash my comp. And the next time I open cs it would go into software mode, and I would have to change it.

I did this for a month or so when I was to busy to try and fix it. Just recently ive finished school and did a format again. I have installed nothing, but a fresh install of kazaa lite mega codec pack 1.16. When I try and play a video it again crashes my computer. However the mpc trick still works..

Please can anyone help me, has any one had similar problems. I’ve had this problem for tooooo long.. plz help, thx for taking time to read…

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

98? 2000? XP? Sounds like you need a new computer haha. Stay away from codec packs. Uninstall K-lite, install xvid, divx and ac3 and see what happens. Also try a free player like zoom player standard.

3. 009

009 Member

yes i have installed xvid and divx get same problem.. and zoom player crashes too

oh os is xp

4. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Check your video drivers to make sure they are up to date. The only other thing i can think of is that your vids are bad files. Have you tried many different one's? Did they work before and not now? Especially after a format, your still having problems? Thats wacky.

5. 009

009 Member

hmm ill update my video drivers..
    yes all the files are fine.. cos they use to work before.. in one go.. ill see what a video driver update does.. cos i think ive missed the last update..

6. arjkar

arjkar Member

Hello,

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you 009, any new info u have on it is appreciated.. I also have used xvid divx etc. and it crashes on any media player i try including free ones,like zoom or videolan. Like you said the video frame freezes and the audio continues playing. I am pretty sure that the video files are not corrupted as they work on other computers. Reformatting the HD and reinstalling everything has resulted in the same problem. This video problem first started happening to me awhile back when i installed some new drivers i think.. My video card is 9600pro mobility radeon. I will try that mpc crash method u said. I think the reason it might crash if u try to do anything like shut down the computer or open CS or something is because when u 'close' the mpc at first so you can play the videos, it doesn't completely close mpc (u can see this is the task manager, the mpc process is stillrunning) so when it actually tries completely closing it, the computer crashes or something...

7. arjkar

arjkar Member

I have tried ur method and it workd, and i am now more convinced that we have the same problem... -_-

8. arjkar

arjkar Member

if u want u can Private Message me ur instant messenger SN so we can talk w/o having to post here repeatedly

9. arjkar

arjkar Member

hopefully ur still reading this forum thread =/

10. koankaon

koankaon Member

*bump* ^_^

11. 009

009 Member

sorry guys, havent been ol for past few days, i graduated from high school few days back and been partying and recoverying.. yea i got ur pm dude.. but i cant add u to my msn.. im pmd u my email..

hopefully we can find a solution together and post it here.

meanwhile im gonna update my video driver, cos like u i have a radeon.. i have a 9200

sorry abt spelling cbf cos im outta school :p jks

12. 009

009 Member

haha i just realised it was ur aim un.. im in australia i dont use that.. im on irc or msn.. add my msn that i pm'd u

13. arjkar

arjkar Member

i pmed u my msn

14. arjkar

arjkar Member

i also use irc btw, what servers,channels?

15. 009

009 Member

ok

hahaha finally found the source of the problem.. after months and months

ok thanks to kingd i went to the ati site to update my driver.. in the driver page
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...c&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=7&submit.y=4 it says....
    package - English only
    Supported on the RADEON 9500, RADEON 9600, RADEON 9700, RADEON 9800, RADEON X300, RADEON X600, RADEON X700 or RADEON X800 Series of products.
    Note you must have Microsoft’s .NET Version 1.1 Framework installed.
    and i have a radeon 9200.. so maybe its not compatible

than again i decided to dl and install it (I already have .net).. and still i had the problem..

so in frustration i formatted again.. however this time i installed xp without sp2 (previously ive installed xp, using one that had sp2 slipstreamd into it)

ok so with a fresh install of xp, without installing any drivers.. i installed the latest kazaa lite codec pack. and to my surprise my vids worked first time without a crash.. however the quality was dodgy due to no gfx driver installed.

after this i installed the recently dl’d radeon driver.. after a reboot i again got the video playback crashes.. so i finally singled out the problem..

so i uninstalled the driver and installed the one i got on the cd when i bought the 9200. and i dont get video crashes anymore..

so with the old drives my vids worked and my prob fixed.. however again another prob arose.. my games started to get random crashes etc..

so now i have to find the latest 9200 driver that doesnt get video crashes (because with newer drives my games didnt crash)

atm im dling the other package on the radeon website.. ill keep u updated..

16. arjkar

arjkar Member

yea, i considered that this might b a driver problem, but the driver i have currently is the best for gaming, i decided to wait, since a new driver will b comin out for my gfx card in a few days, to try that, and if it still doesn't work, i might live with the problem for awhile, since ur solution convinced me more that this is a driver problem..

17. arjkar

arjkar Member

btw, there are tweaked versions of the ATI drivers (they are supposed to be better than the originals) available @ omegadrivers.net. If the latest ones from ATI don't work (cat 11) for the video problem u could try the cat 10 beta drivers from there, but those r the ones i am using on my laptop and they don't fix the video problem for me.. their site seems to be down right now though... hopefully they're updating the omega's to 4.11..

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved.

19. Crushed

Crushed Member

I"m having the exact same problems. Started noticing it after SP2. But the problem is the driver. I also reverted back to my CD drivers and installed 3.9's drivers for ATI. But i just installed 4.12's to fix Half-life 2 rendering errors, and I can't watch movies.
    speaking of which....where did this thread move to?

20. 009

009 Member

i dont have hl2
    so ive been using

wxp-w2k-8-01-040421a-015419c

witch gives me good fps in games and doesnt have the video crashes..

i havent triend the 8.02 drivers but the 8.03 onwards always give be the video crashes

sorry cbf convering it to catalist numbers