1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Heat Soldering Gun

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Hrdrk20, Jul 15, 2004.

1. raven2k

raven2k Member

I ordered two in July and have yet to receive them.
    The keep telling me they shipped in August.
    What a crock...and after reading some of these posts outlining the fact that they don't work, I would reccomend anyone that has bought one and hasn't recieved it, to cancel the order and go to Radio Shak to buy a real iron.
    Contacting that company is the biggest hassle.
    Again...DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE PIECES OF JUNK!!!

2. garysmpsn

garysmpsn Member

In this review
    http://www.10news.com/evening/3788849/detail.html
    it was noted that this iron produces an ark at the two points.

This is a small device, and there is no way to provide the necessary current with 4 AA batteries using a linear design approach. What they would do is use a switching or "bucking" circuit to increase the current and power.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  3. tnraven

tnraven Member

Just got mine today. Couldn't resist pulling out the meter on this one. Here's all I've found..

At the tip, we had 5.28v at barely 2amps. All in all, I cannot see this damaging electronic components unless you're using a jumperwire to extend the path of the current across your component. If you're doing that, you might as well just use 240v and have some fun with it...

-tnr

4. -mark-

-mark- Member

First, you shouldn't criticize people if you don't understand electricity yourself. Amperage is not power, wattage is power. Amperage is the measurement of electron flow (comparable to flow in liquid terms) through a wire or other path. Voltage is potential, and is comparable to pressure in fluid terms. Power (watts) is a calculated value that is calculated using ohm's law. For DC circuits, it is merely P=IV=V^2/R= I^2*R where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, V is voltage in volts and R is the resistance in ohms. In order to have any current, there must be a path from the potential to a lower potential (for example ground). You don't "send" voltage, you apply voltage. You can't send a device that requires .001 amp 1000 amps. You can attach a device that requires .001 amps to a source that is capable of supplying 1000 amps. If you applied a 100,000 Volt source that had large current capacity to an npn transistor, there would be arcing between the leads, thus damaging the transistor. I think what you say in the last sentence is exactly what the guy you are criticizing was saying - if you touch two leads of a chip with this piece of crap's tip, it will pass current through the chip's pathways, and damage the chip.

-Mark-

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  5. jairus

jairus Guest

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to tell him :)!....and I completly agree with everything you said.