1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Student Needs Help With BIG Purchase Of HDTV

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by BigPete79, Apr 1, 2007.

1. BigPete79

BigPete79 Member

WELL I HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO TWO CHOICES. The thing is I don't know what to do with the two choices. I have done research on them through CNET.com. While with the Vizio has a lower CNET rating of 6.6 and the Sharp has a CNET rating of 7.5. The Vizio does have the higher User rating with 8.7, while the Sharp only has 6.9. Also the Sharp seems to be suffering from banding issues and also being too dark. But someone also told me to look at Samsung's 2006 1080p 40 inch HDTV (Don't know the model). I don't know anything about it though. I only want to spend around 1500 dollars, maybe a little more. I really need help. Tell me what you guys think.

PLEASE EVERYONE give me all the opinions that you want. This is a big purchase for me. So anyone who has an opinion on this. PLEASE POST IT.

CNET Ratings:
    Sharp Review On CNET
    Vizio Review On CNET

Where I am purchasing from at Costco:
    Sharp At Costco
    Vizio At Costco

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I just bought the Samsung LCD 40" $1399. I am very pleased. The Sharp aquos looks like a steal at $1499 and 42" ;no contest with the vizio IMHO.

3. BigPete79

BigPete79 Member

But is it true that there is a banding problem and also a problem with the sets being way too dark? That's the main thing that I am worrying about. I was looking at the Samsung's that you are speaking of. Are they the models from 2006? If so, that's what I was looking at. I'm wondering if the Samsung is the better out of the Vizio and Sharp. It sure does look nice. Tell me what you think and maybe where you got it. Because I really do like the Samsung.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@BigPete79

I got it at Circuit City last month on a great sale, it was the 2006 model 40" 720p and a classy looking polished piano black TV at that. Bought it online and picked it up at the store an hour later and didn't have to fight with a salesman who knew less about the TV than I over details and expensive extended warranties. I saw nothing wrong with the Sharp picture at all. No banding. Never have seen a Vizio.

Edit: If planning to use a Cox digital box you do NOT need to buy expensive cables. They come with all the cables you may need except an HDMI cable which doesn't send audio, that is adjustable with the cable remote, thru the Motorola DVR Box to TV anyway. Mine is connected with included component cables and I couldn't tell any difference with the HDMI cable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  5. BigPete79

BigPete79 Member

Well the Samsung that I am looking at is 1080p, maybe it's a different model. But no I don't have Cox, I have Time Warner. So I have no clue what I would need. I just want the best set that I can afford for my PS3 and Blu Ray basically.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Then you want 1080p for those players and games. Ask them, if possible, to show you what a PS3 game looks like on each set you're interested in.

7. BigPete79

BigPete79 Member

Ok I'll see about it whenever I head to the store. Hopefully they will have some way for me to see the difference between the sets.

8. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I'd get the 720P Samsung. at 40" it will be hard to justify the price diffence, compared to what your be able to see.

9. BigPete79

BigPete79 Member

Yeah but the Samsung I was looking at was 1080p and it was around 1700. Is that worth it?

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

The Samsung 720p thatI got for 1399 compared with the 1899 Sharp aquos1080p was a no brainer the sharp picture wasn't worth 500 extra bucks. You have to make that judgement yourself; go LOOK at the picture on each of the models you're interested in.

11. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

Go to www.avsforum.com and do a search for those two. This site is the largest in the world for A/V equipment. I would not rely on CNET for serious reviews.