1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color wheel issues in a DLP projector

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by johto775, Nov 15, 2004.

1. johto775

johto775 Guest

Hi, I have some questions about the color wheel on DLP projectors that I would be thrilled to hear your comments and ideas on.

DLP projectors use a color wheel to produce color. The Digital Mirror Device produces only white light so the projector first projects red, then green and then blue light and then typically white light and maybe one or two more colors.

Most modern DLP uses 4 to 6 color segments.

This means that the projector transforms the Red-Green-Blue signal from the computer to an "Red-Green-Blue-White-More colors" signal.

I would like to buy a projector with either a known transformation or just a RGB color wheel.

1. Does anyone know of any projector that has a known transformation. Most manufacturers seems to view this as secret information but maybe you know of a projector that has this information availible for the public.

2. Does anyone know of a new projector with only RGB-segments in the color wheel? I have heard that there are projectors that uses 6 segments that are RGBRGB but I have not been able to find any proof of the existance of such a projector.

Maybe you wonder why I need this type of a projector? The reason is that I am currently doing a research project in which this kind of odd demand has come up.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi, I hope i can help a bit.

Firstly, most DLP projectors, as you mention use 4-6 colours. However, some of the newer ones are using 7 or sometimes even more. This is two sets of RGB and a clear, not a white segment. I believe the new Optoma H57 and H77 have 7 segment colour wheels, though these details are sketchy.

The Optoma H56 has an R,G,B,R,G,B 6 segment, 4 speed colour wheel. The advantage of a clear segment in the colour wheel helps to accentuate the brighter aspects of the picture. However, the 6 segment 4 speed wheel in the H56 is excellent.

To find out what type of colour wheels are used in projectors, really you need to go to a review site where an engineer or tester has taken the unit apart as a part of his/her review.

Hope this helps
    Chris

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually on another point with the H77, Optoma's latest top of the range projector, its gone a step further. It uses a hD2+ DLP chip, the resolution is 1280x720 (WXGA). The interesting bit is its new 5x Speed 8 colour segment colour wheel. The colours on that wheel? Well my guess is as good as yours. I believe it will be a R,G,B,R,G,B,Clear,??? - probably a light green/blue colour, like Cayan or something, or it will be: R,G,B,Clear,R,G,B,Clear

4. johto775

johto775 Guest

Thanks Oriphus,

I called a couple of manufacturers also so now I know that Projectiondesigns F1 XGA-6 uses RGBRGB, NEC HT1100 uses RGBRGB and BenQ PE8700 uses Red, LightRed, B, LightBlue, Green, Clear and InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 and 5700 both uses RGBRGB.

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

by the way...just so youse guys know...color is spelled..c-o-l-o-r...not...c-o-l-o-u-r....lol

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - what language do you speak in America? Is it English? Therefore, is it possible that the way the English spell it may be correct lol ;-)