1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columbia Pictures & DVD Burning

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rafagail, Dec 31, 2004.

1. rafagail

rafagail Member

Hi Last week some of us posted questions and coments regarding problems backing up and burning Resident Evil Apocalypse trying various dvd burners sofware on the market. Some of us got results using VoBlanker and Super DVD Copy to download dvd files to Hard Disc and then to DVD Shrink or CloneDVD2. This week I tried to burn "Little Black Book" dvd movie after burning two others sucessfully and ecountered the same problem as last week. What are Little Black Book and RE Evil Apocalypse have in common? they are both from Columbia Pictures. I think they have found a way to protect their dvds from being copied. I hope the major dvd copy software manufactrers find a way to deal with this issue soon. I was able to solve the problem this time using VoBlanker with CloneDVD2. I wasn't sucessfull using using DVD Shrink with Super DVD Copy nor with VoBlanker. If anyone else experiense similar issues trying backing up dvd movies that happend to be from Columbia Pictures, please let me know. Thanks.

2. mobfather

mobfather Member

Yes,I noticed it too.Columbia pictures don't want their movies backed up at all!bummer!

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The latest versions of both DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD defeat the new protection being used.

4. mobfather

mobfather Member

I haven't tried dvd decrypter or AnyDvd.How is the quality on the back ups?I only know dvd x copy platinum.Any info is appreciated.Ty =)

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Decrypter doesn't do any compression so after you rip the film with Decrypter you can compress the files with your favorite compression app. AnyDVD is a small utility that dynamically bypasses the encryption and works hand in hand with CloneDVD2 or any other compression app. In short the quality depends on the compression software you choose. DVD Shrink is free and with the right settings can give outstanding quality. CloneDVD2 is a very fast app that gives good quality as well :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  6. dback720

dback720 Member

I thought that I had received a bad disc from one rental comnpany so I tried another rental company. Little Black Book from Columbia Pictures would not decode using either DVD Xcopy or the latest edition of DVD Decrypter. I have had the same problems with other recent releases from Columbia Pictures. I hope that DVD Decrypter can crack this code soon. Has anyone else tried using other decrypters/decoders out there that work with Columbia Pictures?

7. rafagail

rafagail Member

Any DVD, DVD Region+C, and DVD Decrypter have already
    taken care of this in their recent software upgrades last week. Or you can solve the problem using a free download sofware called VobBlaker which let you ript the titles from the DVD movie into a file in your computer then you can use DVD Shrink or Clone DVD2 to select the file and burn it into your selected
    dvd-/+rw in your computer with no problem.

8. dback720

dback720 Member

Like I said earlier, I have the LATEST version of DVD Decrypter installed and tried to decrypt Little Black Book---no go! I'll try the other software that you have mentioned.

9. rafagail

rafagail Member

DVD Decrypter didn't work for me either, but with VobBlanker you can preview the first part of the first title on DVD movie and choose to Blank it before you decide to execute the file ripping to your hard drive.
    I tried backing up another Columbia movie last night.
    "Silver Ciry" and after installing DVD Regiion free+C
    It worked fine with DVD Shrink. "Baby Geniuses 2" is also a Columbia Tri Star movie and I will try to back it up next. Good luck!

10. erxterra

erxterra Member

I had the same problem with R.E. Apocolypse and Black Book. I used DVD Decrypter first and then used DVD Shrink but I had to download Nero before DVD Shrink would let me burn it to disk. Otherwise, it was just copied to my hard drive. I only got the free trial for Nero. Does anyone know of a free program that I could use instead. If not, I'll stick to DVD Shrink and Nero since the movie (The Unforgotten, also a Columbia Tri Star film) that I just burned turned out DVD quality.

11. dback720

dback720 Member

I downloaded and installed the trial version of DVDFab which can be found at dvdidle.com. I was able to burn Little Black Book and Resident Evil: Apocalypse with no problems.

12. assmaster

assmaster Member

the reason you are not able to copy these movies is that they all have a flash .exe file which boots when the dvd spins up.

13. dback720

dback720 Member

To assmaster---whatever! Some of us DID copy in one way or another. Flash exe.file means nothing to me.

14. assmaster

assmaster Member

I am glad you feel it nessasary to jump some one who answers a question. I realize that you can copy the movie with a dif software I was just stating why the DVD shrink and DVDxCopy did not work. What software did you use to copy these movies I have only found a few that will do it?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  15. dback720

dback720 Member

Sorry to assmaster. Didn't mean to jump on you or "dis" you. You need to read all of the other thread messages and you will see where we have been on this. I am a pretty simple-minded person and all that I'm looking for is simple user-friendly software that will make my copies without having a lot of work on my end. I don't know any of the technical jargon that some of you are using concerning VOBs and flash exe.files. Being as simple-minded that I am, all I want to do is insert the DVD, click a button or two and have my copy made. I found that DVDfab which is sold under the DVDidle.com web site has a free trial of it's software. DVDfab worked great for me. In the past I have used DVD Xcopy and DVD Decrypter. Xcopy is fair but I found Decrypter in conjunction with DVD Shrink and Nero did a little bit better job. It wasn't until just lately that some of us started having problems getting our current software to copy certain DVDs from certain movie studios like Columbia Tri Star. Like you said---I guess that they use a flash exe.file? Okay, well I'm not prepared to sit down with other software and try to disect all the files associated with a DVD---call me lazy, inept or whatever. Right now DVDfab works, it costs about $60 for the platinum edition after the 30 day trial period. In the mean time I'll look for other free-ware that is similiar. Other people have found other software out there that does the trick also, I have checked out the available software and it is a little over my head.

16. GBLAZAJR

GBLAZAJR Guest

Yes, I got the same problem burning
    Little Black book
    Envy
    The Grudge
    Resident Evil &
    The Forgotten.
    I notice that all of them are Columbia Pictures and found out that they have a flash.exe. My concern is, Is there any software to copy these movies? These movies are good to keep you know.They are really worted,/..

17. dback720

dback720 Member

Check out all of the prior thread messages. Some of us were able to make copies using different software. It depends on how skilled you are at working with various software and if you want a free program or a pay program.

18. AQUA37

AQUA37 Guest

i had problems backing up r/e 2 and little black book
    but the problems weren't the same with r/e 2 it was a dvd navigational error which an updated version of dvd decryptor dealt with succesfully as for little black book it was a cyclic redundancy error and i couldn't get round it with anything not even with any dvd although it seems lots of others had no problem using any dvd it transpires that there is a difference in encryptions between region 1 and region 2 then around 2 am this morning gmt any dvd posted an upgrade which dealt with this within a couple of hours of being made aware of the problem i run a trial copy of any dvd and i'm not big on paying for software when a free alternative is available but the service from the slysoft company means i may be about to break a habit of a lifetime anyway it's worth noting just because something for one region it doesn't inevitably mean it's the same for the next region