1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining OTA Signal w/Sat Signal on Same Line

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Jdish255, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Jdish255

Jdish255 Member

I see there are signal combiners/diplexers for OTA Antennas and SAT Dish that you can split behind your box to get both signals on the same line. I have DTV and would like to use the AM21 Tuner with my HR22 DVR in one room, and on my other HDTV also have the antenna signal using only 1 line split to the TV.

Currently I have a Slimline dish with a SL3 SWM 3 lnb to one line coming from the Dish. The line is then split by an 8-way SWS-8WB Diplexer 2-2150 (to four DirecTV Tuners -2 HD where I want the OTA). If I were to combine the antenna signal before the splitter, would that give me OTA signal at all four TV outlets or would there be a problem for the SAT putting that combiner before the splitter?

I'm not sure if I'm clear here but if anyone has done this of knows about the technical issues involved, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Why am I doing this? I'm in CT and would like to integrate CT locals into my televisions. I can get the OTA signal but for DTV I'm a NY DMA.

2. zergpro

zergpro Member

I'm not 100% of what all you are trying but from what i'm getting your trying to use an antenna for your locals and DTV for everything else correct?

You should be able to plus the antenna cable into the back of your DVR (there is a antenna in on the back) and than I believe you to access the local channels you turn off the DVR and switch your tv from the input channel to whatever local station you want.

Not 100% but I believe this should work

Sorry its been awhile since I install DTV

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

the sat signals are usually different frequency.. plus the dish has power supplied up the line... a stock antenna will short out that power and very likely cause damage either to the splitter of the receiver supplying the dish power.

as with any "different frequency" antenna systems they need their own specific input ports.

If you are running RF to the individual sets you may be able to multiplex the antenna signal with the downconverted sat signals with a risk of co-channel interference and receiver overload/cross modulation.. if not and you take a/v from the boxes then you are stuck supplying an antenna feed the same as to every sat box now.