1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining two VCDs into one

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dwschan, Apr 23, 2004.

1. dwschan

dwschan Member

I have recently been putting together some home videos and edited them into a movie using Pinnacle Studio 8. However my hard drive wasn't large enough to handle all the video at one go so I had to capture part of it, render and burn it, then capture and render the other half.
    My problem is that I am left with 2 VCDs with a total of 40 min of video. Is there any way to combine the two onto one VCD that plays as one movie? Can I just copy the files across or use Nero to make a multisession disc.
    Unfortunately Pinnacle, in their wisdom, do not seem to have enabled multisession burning on one CD.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you can allways Rip the Mpeg files off of the VCD"s and then Join the 2 Files together and then Burn them back to VCD....
    If you look on the VCD disks and go into the "MpegAV" forder you should see a file called "AVSEQ01.DAT" ..That is the Mpeg1 file used to create the VCD, you just drag it to your Desktop and rename it to something like "Movie-01.mpg" and then do the same thing for the VCD with the second part of the Movie but re-name it "Movie-02.mpg"....
    Now you just have to join the 2 Files into one File without Encodeing them...
    #1)If you download "Tmpgenc" and install it
    #2)Now run it and go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "Merge & Cut" and Load in the Movie-01.mpg file and then the Movie-02.mpg file
    #3) Now choose and output name and directory for the new joined file ..
    #4)Now at the Top go to the Dropdown Menu and set it to "Mpeg 1 Video CD", This is very important...
    #5) Now just click the "Run" button and it will join the 2 files into one file and save it ...
    #6)Now just burn it to CD-R as a VCD useing your Favorite Burning software Like Nero or whatever....

Good luck

3. dwschan

dwschan Member

Thanks . It worked great. Only slight mismatch of the background soundtrack with the video but that's not a big problem.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well That sync Problem is actually common with files Joined useing Tmpgenc a Much better Mpeg editor and Joiner is Mpeg2VCR or the Mpeg Video Wizard 2003 both of which are NOT freeware.....

5. dwschan

dwschan Member

Thankfully I'm not looking to do a pro job. It does the trick well enough for me. Thanks again.