1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combo drive worked for half a movie, now won't recognize DVDs

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by cpomme, Nov 10, 2002.

1. cpomme

cpomme Member

I got a combe drive from a second-hand dealer on eBay. It's a Panasonic CW-8571B. I'm using it with Windows ME with 667 MHZ Celeron, and 190 M of RAM. At first it seemed to work fine, but about half way through the Spiderman movie it started jumping about every three seconds until it froze up. After repeatedly trying to install and uninstall the software (PowerDVD), the device drivers, the hardware and a set of drivers for Win 95/98 offerrrd at the Panasonic website, the drive won't even recognize DVDs anymore. Also, when I try and play music CDs on it, the sound is VERY scratchy.

I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?

thanks!
    -chris
    ol_myth@yahoo.com

2. scsi_boy

scsi_boy Guest

I have the same problem too playing spider man movie on a Sony DVD ROM drive. When you put the disk in the drive, it offers to load their dvd software player. I believe at this point, it corrupts PowerDVD to the point where it will not recognize the disk.

I really don't have an answer to resolve this issue other than NOT to play it on your computer.

3. cpomme

cpomme Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried purchasing a two-brush wet laser lens cleaner for the drive and after repeated use it seems to have resolved most of the problem. For good measure I also HAVE NOT been installing that interactive software thing that loads when you pu tthe spiderman dvd in. I noticed that it was crashing constantly.

Since cleaning the drive I played the part of spiderman that was giving me the most trouble (the scene in the boxign ring) and it played with some jerkiness, but at least it PLAYED.

thanks again for the advice,
    -chris