1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

combo unit

Discussion in 'DVD-VCR combos' started by rtrg, May 9, 2011.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have a Go Video combo unit, DVDR plus VCR. The DVD section uses MINUS media and allows me to record in "VIDEO" or "VR" modes. "VIDEO" is supposed to allow max compatibility to standard dvd players and computers. ""VR" is for more editing ability. As a test I recorded a disc in both modes. My two players handled only the disc in "VR" mode even though I did not expect it to. Neither player handled the "VIDEO" mode though that what was indicated. My computer handled neither. The "PLAYER MENU" did not appear nor could I play it using PLAYER 6,4 for xp. The "OPEN DVD" command gave me "CANNOT FIND DIRECTORY". The "OPEN DISC" choice gave me a GRAYED OUT choice. The dvd title should have been there in black. What is the correct "MODE" to record in or max compatibility? Please move this as needed.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Video mode - which means you have to finalize the disk in the DVD recorder after recording - else it will not play in another standalone player or on a PC.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I had a PHILIPS DVDR 985 that used PLUS media. The same modes were available to me. I used VIDEO mode with a RW disc and did NOT need to FINALIZE the disc. I cpuld also simply overwrite all or part of the disc or erace the disc first, like video tape. Is this the basic difference between PLUS and MINUS media? Can I UNFINALIZE a disc in order to reuse it? RW media? The 985 allowed me to do that. Will this unit as well? Would the choice be under MENU or SET UP?

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

ATTAR--- I found out that like the 985 the GO combo unit has the same abilities. That is I can UNFINALIZE a RW disc. I will presume that that is not the difference between PLUS and MINUS discs. As long as I can UN FIX and reuse a given disc I am happy about that. The manual says this can be done in both VR and VIDEO modes. I answered my own question, again.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

ATTAR---- Update to my own answer. Even after finalization dvd would not play on my computers. All have dvd rom drives and 3 player software. Any reason this is true? Can I change it? The other players handle it. UNFIXING takes less than 30 seconds. I can live with this. It is more important to have the players than the computer. I can use it for commercial dvds. I am also using a STABILIZER for the players for COPY PROTECTED discs. Works well.

6. attar

attar Senior member

A DVD+R, DVD-R or DVD-RW must be finalized to play on another standalone or on a PC.
    DVD+RW and DVD-RAM disks do not get finalized.

If the disk plays ok on a different standalone unit (but does not play on the PC) can Explorer see the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders on the disk?

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Please explain what that is, how I know if it is or is not being read, and if not how I get it to read. Simple english please and simple steps.

8. attar

attar Senior member

Insert the disk in the PC.
    Goto 'My Computer' (which is either on the desktop or in the 'Start' menu); right click on the icon and click 'Open'.
    A list of hard drives and optical drives should be presented.
    Right click on the relevant optical drive and click 'Open'.
    If a disk has been inserted and the disk has been finalized, the file folders should be visible.

9. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

thanks I will try it next time.