1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast DVR - DCT6412 - Series Recording - HELP?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by jdmba, Mar 4, 2005.

1. jdmba

jdmba Member

Greets,

I recently swapped out my two single tuner DVR's for two two tuner 6412's with comcast. On the Single Tuner, I could say "Record Every Sunday at 8:00PM on Fox".

On the Dual Tuner, all you can do is set a series recording. I have been thru 4 boxes, and on each box, even if you change FIRST RUN ONLY, you get every single time an item runs.

This can be a problem if you enjoy King of the Hill, Simpsons, and Malcolm in the Middle on Fox, because even with THIS CHANNEL ONLY selected, you will get 4 hours per day of these shows.

Does anyone have the same problem? Does anyone know how to record 8:00PM on 11 on Sunday every week? The manual recording option does not allow for repeating

HELP?!?!?!?

Thanks

2. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

I've had the same problem since replacing my single tuner with a dual tuner box. I called customer service and described the problem to them, and the rep said this was the first time she had heard of it.

It's not really a hardware problem with the DVR, it's a problem with the software they use for the guide (I believe it's from TV Guide) Unless the description of the show is correct, it doesn't work. And I believe for the box to know NOT to record a show, it has to have "REPEAT" in the description. So even though you use the "FIRST RUN ONLY" option, if the description is the same for all episodes of a show, it will record every episode. I actually think the options on the old single tuner box were better.

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that Comcast was changing the guide software from TV Guide to Microsoft, but it hasn't happened yet.

I would call Comcast and let them know, and maybe if enough people complain, they'll look into it.

3. jdmba

jdmba Member

Comcast's initial response was that my getting every single run of the (let's say) Simpsons despite setting the SERIES RECORDING to FIRST RUN ONLY, is user error.

Great.

4. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Hey Guys,

I work for a cable company. Not comcast but one that uses the same box. In all honesty, the box is buggy. VERY BUGGY. Don't get me wrong I have one in my home, but it was launched quickly before the firmware was well...firm heheheh. Just try and make do the best you can. It will be updated quite soon. My audio drops out every once in awile. Its a know glitch in the box. It will be worked out when they flash in the next firmware patch. The company I work for is doing it soon

5. coolrobbb

coolrobbb Member

you can either go to the options menu after you set up a manual recording or while you are setting a recording. the first option should be repeat frequency where you can either pick none ,every day,once a week, or mon-fri.

6. coolrobbb

coolrobbb Member

also if you decide to add the option as you set the repeat frequency , make sure you g oto the recording option button before you confirm the recording option.

i got a better problem.i usually set several series on my dvr.i recently deleted "american Idol" from that series show since it skip the most recent show and started the next day aand this would leave me a gap. After that I tried to reset the show in series and the guide froze so much that i had to unplug it ,which left me waiting for it to download and try again. (cont'd)

7. coolrobbb

coolrobbb Member

(cont'd)I check the series menu and noticed that the numbers skipped around.For example, I had 5 series numbering 1-5 and then it skipped to 7 'til it got to 42.The next series is another 42 and then the next two series are numbered 43,43. the best I can come up is when i deleted the program on the guide it more of a hidden file that i can not delete or add. anyone have a solution for this one?

8. pika7469

pika7469 Member

[bold]Update - September 2005[/bold]

I just replaced my singler tuner Comcast DVR with a dual-tuner, and they still haven't fixed this problem with Series recording. I wanted to setup a daily recording of All My Children on SoapNet for my wife. Even with "First Run Only" selected, it is recording every instance of All My Children on SoapNet (3 times daily weekdays, and 10 times on Sunday)!

I called Comcast to complain, and got the standard response of, "This is the first I've heard about it." I told them that I had seen where other Comcast users had been complaining about it since February. They are "checking with the engineers" and will call me back within four business days.

The suggested "temporary" work-around was to set a manual recording by entering the time and date. Manual Recording does have the desired repeat options, but does not save the Guide information. So my list of recorded programs will all be listed as: "Recording Mon 09/12 at 12m", without any indication of what show that is or which episode.

My advice: If you have the single tuner DVR, keep it!

If you're stuck with the dual-tuner like I am now, call Comcast weekly and demand they take the DVR charge off of your bill.

9. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

I'm still having the same problem with some series recordings. It's because the description isn't updated with the information the DVR needs to know the difference between "First Run" and "Repeats". I'm not sure that would help you, though, since the Soap Net showing isn't technically "First Run". But if you do record it manually, even though on your list of recordings it's listed like you said, if you play the recoding and hit "Info" it WILL tell you the name and date for the show that's recorded, along with the program description (if there is one).

I'm having a problem with one show in particular- Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO. I've got it set up as a series recording, and if I search for the title, I get the list of times it's on, but when I check my Series Recording list, it never shows up, so I have it as a manual recording.

-Charlie

10. Luigi001

Luigi001 Member

Having the same problem recording Stargate. At first they said it was TVGuide's problem then they said I should have my box replaced (already on my 2nd). I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to DirecTV/Tivo. It looks like it's nicer and not buggy.

11. jdmba

jdmba Member

I have no doubt this is a TVGuide issue. I mean, its clear that the box needs to be re-programmed so that if it doesnt say NEW then its assumed a repeat (currently, it seems to be the other way around).

Common problems are things like Surreal Life (go ahead, FIVO (that's Fake Tivo) it and see how many entries you get over a 24 hour period - even if set to new).

The combination of TVGuide not flagging subsequent runs as repeats and the box not assuming anything without NEW is a rerun, is deadly.

12. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

Comcast has cut a deal with Tivo to make DVR's for them, but from what I understand, they will still offer the current Motorola DVR also. I'm not sure if the Tivo box will be more expensive per month, but when it becomes available you might want to try it.

13. Luigi001

Luigi001 Member

After much back and forth, here is what Comcast sent me:

My question, which I have been unable to get them to answer, is how can they have a new box that fixes the problem without the software update being available?

14. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Basically, what they are saying is...
    I'm sorry, but Motorola can't make DVRs properly and overlooked an obvious problem. Please wait till they make a different one, which will probably have even more problems.
    If I were you, I would buy my own. Check with your cable provider first thought to make sure it will work.

15. Luigi001

Luigi001 Member

Got my 3rd box today. Guess what? Same problem.
    Here are the 3 answers I've gotten from Comcast:

1. It should work. Haven't heard of this before. Let's replace the box.
    2. We've heard of this, waiting for a software update from Motorola. In the mean time, let's replace your box.
    3. Yea. It does this, it's the TVGuide's fault. I'll replace your box, but it won't help.

#3 was from the technician who came to my house to replace my box today. BTW he said the TV Guide description has to say Repeat in order for the box to not think it's new. That seems like BS. How does TiVo do it?

Anyway, either Comcast tells their employees not to admit it's broke or they keep as many of their employees in the dark about the problem as possible.

So the answer to this thread is, yes, Comcast's 6412 DVR is broke at least as of mid Sept 2005.

16. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

Still broke.
    I have a motorola dvr box and have the same issue. They wont even come out and replace the box for me.

17. jdmba

jdmba Member

Well, on my last replacement (which are very frequent, and 4 hour windows stink, particularly since ComCast service technicians either do not bring the equipment listed on the service order or simply do not show up and claim you were not home), they said I was very lucky to get the box (after they called a supervisor to come to my house to prove it was broken). They have some SERIOUS supply problems, and know darn well the boxes don't work. They have upped the difficulty level to swap because they know the new boxes won't work either and that there is no real reason to swap.

My immediately prior box would lock, and would only unlock if unplugged. The supervisor was radio'ing the tech to reboot the box. I had explained that it was rebooted nightly, and would freeze within 24 hours, and that if he rebooted it, it would LOOK like it worked, but would break in 23 hours. That's when the decision to send the supervisor occurred.

Makes me want satellite ...

18. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

They told me not to shut off the box, and just power off the TV.
    My box doesn't lock up, but the audio goes off for 15 seconds about every 15 minutes.

19. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

Is there any difference with the DCT6412 III box?