1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Not running properly.

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by kkeelan, Aug 5, 2008.

1. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

I've been having problems with this game right from the get-go. I don't know if you allow support for pirated games, so I guess I'll let that cat out of the bag before I say anything else and waste anyone's time.

When I start the game, everything runs properly. I get to the main menu for the game and the initial campaign movies play just fine. When getting into the game proper after everything's loading, the game closes automatically, citing an error report that claims Direct X and cncgame.dat is to blame. The crack I used for the game patches the game to version 1.8 and then overwrites the cncgame.dat file in the 1.8 directory of the RetailEXE directories.
    I'm wondering if it's the cracked cncgame.dat file that I used that is responsible. If so, I'd like to know how I could reliably crack the game so that it actually works reliably, or if there's something I can do to properly run the game. Direct X has been updated and I've tried troubleshooting it. Oftentimes the training mission will work in spite of everything else, though... I don't understand why this is.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Fekkin ell.. this game costs £1.99.. don't be such a cheapskate.. buy a real copy off fleabay ;)

3. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

Clearly not consider us Canadian/American customers. It costs quite a bit to pick up a brand new copy of the game. Not to mention I'm on a budget. Besides, I've heard that there's problems of this sort with legitimate copies of the game...
    ...does anyone think they can help? Is it that much a trouble? I asked for help, not judgments. I know this sounds a bit ignorant... but I'm in a bit of a frustrated spot because I can't use DX3D on a few games as it stands...
    Computer is a factory stocked Compaq Presario SR5310F, so that means the video capabilities is limited due to its being onboard.

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you can't play the game on integrated hardware; that's why it's failing DirectX3D.

get a graphics card and new power supply (being cheap is NOT an option)

and varnull is right. get a real copy.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  5. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

Alright, so judgment is a given, here.
    Even though this place answers questions about arguably illegal activity in various places.
    Thanks for the advice, though, regardless. Why the mention about a power supply, though? Is this one *that* bad?

6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

power supplies in prebuilts can only handle what's in the system. maybe two more hdd's, but that's it. overload the power supply, and kiss the system goodbye. some can even burst into flames.

graphics cards adds quite a lot of stress on power supplies. brand name is important because they provide stable power and can handle the advertised power rating.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

You're not condoning it by providing support - I guess you could be, arguably.
    This problem would have been run into with a completely legitimate piece of software, so I don't see what the problem is.
    However, I appreciate the help. I don't understand why it would work on my laptop that's over one year old [that I no longer have access to] and it wouldn't on a perfectly fine desktop.
    Whatever, I'll see what kind of safe purchase I can get in terms of a card for this desktop. Power supply shouldn't be difficult to attain.

9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

a decent power supply will cost. the minimum anyone recommends is the corsair 450VX. but i have used an antec earthwatts500 with no problems.

brand name is important. corsair, antec, thermaltake purepower, pc power&cooling, seasonic are the brands to look at.

10. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

As far as running C&C3 is concerned, what am I looking at spending? Individually, of course, for the video card and power supply. I know it'll cost me, but I'm looking at bare essentials, here, if, at all, possible.

11. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  12. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

firstly the problem i think is with the crack. you can copy your games and use no cd cracks providing you have the original game disc. correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

so this is what you need to do. BUY a copy
    then forget about updating to the latest version, just use version 1 no cd crack and version 1 game. it's not like you can play online with your serial number so updating is not a concern

13. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

Use a little sense. If I were to buy a copy, why would I want to crack it?

Firstly, if it's a commong DX3D issue, then I doubt the crack is responsible. Especially when I'm able to play the training mission.

14. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

you can probably play the training mission because the graphics aren't that demanding there. if there is an error with the crack then it has a CHANCE of being that. like you said you get a cncgame.dat error which is 1 of the two, if not the only file replaced during cracking.

another thing. cracking is done so you don't need the cd. if u install the original you'd need the disc everytime.

unless you want to uninstall and reinstall the game i suggest u crack it. otherwise take the long winded route.

i am using sense. if you knew the answers i doubt you'd make a thread.

it isn't always hardware fault. it can be software. unless you got money to burn i suggest taking the software route first.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  15. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

any DX3D error is hardware related.

and it's always best to have the latest patch. only game that it doesn't apply to is gta: san andreas.

16. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

Agreed with Cee.

I don't see the problem with using the CD/DVD if you actually have it. I'm not so lazy as to not want to use when I actually have it. It could be a deal with the crack, so I will check it out again. It's always possible, but I still think it's a hardware issue.

17. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

what does he mean when he says directx error? is it a dont send cncgame.dat error? or what? if it has cncgame.dat i think that should be tried first. what graphics card you got?

EDIT:- let me just say that this game works on a geforce 3 graphics card and that is OLD!!!!

san andreas is a cool game. you can mod it with all sorts including multiplayer. love that game. i think it's way more fun than cnc3 and kanes rath. i just hope red alert 3 is just as much fun as red alert 2.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  18. kkeelan

kkeelan Member

See above...

19. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

i dunno what i'm looking for, anyway this is what i advise. on the radeon 9200 graphics, i had an error report too. to fix it i just got latest graphic drivers so try that. just to let you know there are individual cracks for 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 etc.

20. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

did you not even bother to read that he's on integrated graphics?