1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Command line argument

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by conebob, Feb 24, 2007.

1. conebob

conebob Member

Ok Im new to all this comp stuff so dont shoot me down if I sound lost ...Its because I am.

(1) Ok when I start my comp with Win98se it comes up with a box saying
    THE COMMAND LINE ARGUMENT IS NOT VALID VERIFY THE SWITCH YOU ARE USING.
    Now after looing on the net it seems like this is a problem with XP so why am I getting this message.

(2) When I try to start Outlook Express 6 or MSN Messenger 7 I have another error box with ONE OF THE LIBRARY FILES NEEDED TO RUN THIS APPLICATION IS DAMAGED MSIMG32.DLL I have downloaded a new .DLL file and replaced the one in both the Systems & Systems32 folder but still I get the same message. I did reinstall both Explorer and Outlook Express and still no change....HELP ME BEFORE I TAKE TO MY COMP WITH A CHAIN SAW...

Cheers
    Mark

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That message usually comes when Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express settings or accounts are hosed. (It is not just an XP message.) Is Outlook or OE set up to run at startup? Maybe your email accounts have got corrupted and need to be removed and reinstalled. At any rate the message points to a problem with Outlook Express.

Sure sounds that way when you read question (2) in your post.

Maybe you should back up the files you want to keep and reinstall Windows. Windows 98 is getting a bit old these days. Can you try XP?

You say you are "new to all this comp stuff". Does this mean you just got given an old computer with Windows 98 on it?. It might be better to start over with a fresh install.

3. conebob

conebob Member

Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are not set to run on startup.
    But I think you may have made a valid point about the problem being in these two programs. my son downloaded a program to stop email spam (No he cant remember the name Dhooo!)and then deleated it because it came up with an error..This is program for XP.
    So I guess some files or needed bits may have been changed or deleated.

As far as upgrading goes, yes this comp will run XP..but I dont like it. I used Win95 from 95 till 2003 with no problems and have run 98 from 03 till now with no problems. I do not have a 98 disc so I cant reinstall and I have a lot of programs on this comp that I can not transfer or even find on the net anymore and I dont realy want to loose them.

I know I should just buy XP and be done with it, If I cant resolve the problems I will I guess...

Just one more point..I have a new Acer comp as well running XP ( for the kids to play games on) and that still didnt come with a disc.
    I think all new comps should come with all the software discs, well thats just my thought anyway.

Thanks again Inochine.
    Cheers Mark

4. conebob

conebob Member

Ok I fixed the damaged .DLL file. The one I downloaded was a dud.
    When I looked at the file size it was only 5KB it should have been around 54KB so I found a different site and downloaded it again and now I can start Outlook and MSN without a problem.

I still have the COMMAND LINE ARGUMENT at startup..but I can live with that.

Now the next propblem is when using Internet Explorer if I am on a site page and clck a link to open a new window ( not to a different site)....the window is blank and does not load...I have checked all my settings and security settings ext but cant find the problem...Any Ideas?

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Every single web site? What happens if you right click the link?

This page might help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679

6. conebob

conebob Member

Yup even if I right click on the link on your post
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679 and select open or open in a new window.....the window opens but does not load anything.

Which is funny because if you do a google search and click on a link it will open fine but if you then go from that page to another link it wont work...
    I even had a link to this forum in my email and clicking on that link gave me the same non working window.

I will persist till I find the answer

Thanks again Indochine
    Cheers
    Mark

7. conebob

conebob Member

Hi all back again....The problem I had...Ie
    (THE COMMAND LINE ARGUMENT IS NOT VALID VERIFY THE SWITCH YOU ARE USING.) Has been fixed for some reason Explorer in Office 2000 decided it wanted to start when the comp was switched on....I have never used Explorer in Office so I dont know why this happend.
    But I do have two teenaged kids..thats a problem in itself..lol

I still cant fix the new window in IE being blank but if you hit stop and refresh it loads the page...I have tried every trick I can find on all the forums...I guess I will have to live with it.

Bye all
    Mark