1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common IDE busses

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by berny, Aug 6, 2003.

1. berny

berny Member

I have the time S3809 powerstation and when i try to burn a disc with the latest version of Nero it brings up a warning saying "It looks like both your source and destination drives for 'on the fly copy'processes are connected to the same IDE bus. We strongly recommened that you connect your source and destination drives to different IDE buses." Does anyone no what this means and how to fix it?

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Primary and secondary IDE.

Try putting one drive on each, so you aren't trying to push and pull data along the same cable at the same time.

3. berny

berny Member

Yes but how?

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I hesitate to say much more because if you don't know how to install an IDE device getting instructions off a website is potentially dangerous. Do you know anybody who installs computer components? It might be a good idea to invite them over for a beer.

If you like I can give you some instructions, but I take no responsibility if you fry something.

5. berny

berny Member

Rite i had a look inside seen 3 ribbon cables 1 went to my reader and writer it had a tag sayin slave on it. 1 went to harddisk and the other to floppy drive. I gimme the instructions im not thick so i shud b able to follow them just gimme a bit of detail.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, we'll start by ignoring the floppy cable, we won't be using it at all.

Now on the back of each of the other drives, there is a small piece of plastic. It covers metal pins, and connects the pins together. It's called a jumper. There are 3 common jumper settings, Master, Slave, and Cable Select.

Many newer systems are now using Cable select. Master and slave are determined by their position on the ribbon cable. Now on the ribbon cable there's the part that goes into the motherboard, the next connector is slave, and the end one is master.

Right now you have both DVD drives on the same cable; one being master and the other being slave. The problem you're running into is the same cable is being used for both. The data must go from one drive, into the motherboard, then back up in the opposite direction.`

What you need to do is move one of the drives to be a slave drive on the same ribbon as the hard drive. All that intro; now here's the steps:

(1) Print these instructions off, then shut down your computer.
    (2) Check to see if the hard drive is jumper set to Master or Cable Select.
    (3a) If HD is master, set one of the drives (preferably reader) to Slave
    (3b) If HD is Cable select, set one of the other drives to Cable select as well.
    (4) Connect the DVD drive that you just verified jumper on to the same ribbon cable as the hard drive.

Now there isn't much to it, but if you make a mistake the computer won't boot up afterwards until you fix it.

Good luck!

7. berny

berny Member

The reader is taged as slave but how do u change the jumper settings?

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

The pins will either be labeled or there will be a little map somewhere on the drive.

You just pull on the piece of plastic. Fingernails work if long enough. If you want you can very carefully use neddlenose plyers, a ball point pen, a small screwdriver as a pry bar.

9. berny

berny Member

rite i tryd puttin my burner onto the same cable as my hardisk but the jumpers werent far enough apart on the ribbon cable to reach between the 2. Btw wen u said "You just pull on the piece of plastic" i assume u ment to pull the jumper out of the drive.

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

The jumper is a little piece of plastic; no bigger than a fly or an ant.

If the cable isn't long enough you'll need a longer cable or move the drives closer together.

11. dazdm2001

dazdm2001 Member

I had the same problem only a couple of weeks ago m8,forget about all the cables and stuff for know and have a look at the back off both the drives there should be a small socket directly next to where you plug your drive cable into.There is a tiny peice of plastic plugged into it,this is hard to see if you havent done it before becasue some of them are black and they kinda blend in with the colore on the back of your drive.anyway then look along the cable that connects your two drives to your hard drive one will say master on it the one that connected to the top drive for me was the master (may differ just have a look)then check what position that little pin thing is remember that piece of plastic thatw as hard to find and then check the position of the one on your second drive they cant be on the same pin setting as one is master and one is slave so change the one od drive that sint master (as described before just pull out with nails) and put it into the other pins..that should work for you(and as sayed in other reply i take no responsibility for any wrong dooings) this worked for me as i said so good luck hope it works out..

12. berny

berny Member

Rite dazdm2001 found the jumpers top drive (witer) was set to master cudnt find the jumper on the back of the lower drive (reader) but it has a tag sayin slave. I treid burning with Nero it gave me the same warning but worked anyway.

13. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

dazdm's problem sounds like the two drives were both trying to be master. Berny, your problem is different; it is warning you that the two drives are on the same IDE slot. If you "forget about all the cables and stuff" then you are also ignoring the problem.

As I said before, if you haven't done this before I would recommend getting somebody who has to show you. Once you've seen it done it isn't rocket science.

If you don't have anybody in your circle of friends then print off this page and take it and your computer to the nearest computer shop and get it fixed. Or if you are happy with getting an error every time, and and willing to risk each burned disc not working correctly, then keep doing what you're doing.