1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comp make dies and makes weird noises.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bridq, Dec 24, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

transfer heat better between cpu & heatsink. post results of operation, not to gruesome please

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'd honestly take your motherboard out of your case when doing this. You'll also need to clean the old thermal grease or pad off of the processor dye. You MUST do this. Don't squirt arctic silver or any other thermal grease on top of old thermal material (pad or grease). I find alochol and a cotton swab does a descent job. You just want to clean the dye (little square glass piece on top) off. Get it nice and clean so that the new thermal grease will function correctly.

Your new heat sink and fan may have a pad on the bottom ready to use. I'd really recommend going with a nice grease though.

The other thing is sometimes if you get a big big heat sink and fan combo it can become extremely annoying trying to get the prongs to attach to the socket. I find that a nice big flathead screwdriver gives you good leverage and will allow you to fasten it easily.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

3. bridq

bridq Regular member

Ok guys, I went to the store and bought what I think I needed. Did I buy the right heat sink/fan combo? I purchased a Volcano 11+ Xaser edtion. on the box it says : P/N A1725 Volcano 11 + Xaser Edition
    Application for AMD Athlon XP up to 3400.

This thing is huge!! It dwarfs my old fan. It also has 5.25 drive bay fan speed control do I need this?

I also picked up the syringe of thermal grease, but I'll admit that I'm chicken Sh*t to apply it because I heard that if you apply too much or too little you can damage your system. This is the first time that I have done anything like this on my system. I will take the mother board out of my case if I know how. I basically have to disconnect everything right?

4. ddp

i don't think you need to take motherboard out. just unclip old heatsink/fan from motherboard. if old heatsink has grease on it, put about same amount with new grease on new heatsink than clip onto socket carefully as don't want to break socket clip. fan control might come in handy as you can regulate fan speed which changes cpu temp

5. Divinus

Divinus Guest

If you're going to keep the motherboard in the case, BE CAREFUL. With those size heat sinks they can require some pretty damn good pressure to get them to clip onto the socket. My SLK900A had me standing up with my weight on it, for example.

It's extremely easy to install. I'm sure the instructions give you pictures. Basically you'll want to hook one prong down first and sit the heat sink on top of the dye. Make sure you're not sliding the heat sink around or rocking it back and forth on top of the processor. Hook that one clip on, sit the heat sink on the processor and you should see where the opposite site clip snaps onto the socket. This is where it takes some presssure to get the heat sink prong to snap onto the socket clip. Like I said in the previous post, a big flat heat (straight) screwdriver will help tremendously.

The reason I recommended taking the board out is if you have no experience and are not careful... the force you put down on the heat sink prong when you're trying to get it to hook on the socket clip can be pretty heavy. If you notice your motherboard bending inward and warping any make sure to stop and reapply pressure again. Basically just be careful that you don't let the screwdriver slip off the prong and go straight through the motherboard. The only good the motherboard being out of the case does is that it's on a flat surface and the pressure transfers onto the flat surface. When it's mounted in your case it's sitting on screws or clips and it can bend and flex and break somewhat easily.

I believe if you're careful you should be fine. Just take it slow and easy and don't get frustrated.

6. bridq

bridq Regular member

ok, guys thanks for your advice. Did I buy the right heat sink/fan?

7. ddp

try it & see if solves problem but from your description i'd say the heatsink is big enough

8. bridq

bridq Regular member

I guess I understand how to install the new heat sink/fan, but I'm having a difficult time removing the old one. I'm using a flathead screw driver trying to remove the old one, but am not having any luck. Is there a certain trick to get this thing off?

9. Divinus

Divinus Guest

On your old heatsink there are two little prongs that extend from the sides. These prongs have square holes on the end that latch onto little clips on your socket. You'll have to get the screwdriver under the prong and pry it loose from the socket clip. After that you'll see your CPU.

Clean the CPU and plop your other heatsink on top and viola, you're finished.

10. bridq

bridq Regular member

so I place the screwdriver under the prong? there is no lever or anything? So go under from one side and apply pressure? Sounds good; I'll give it a try.

11. ddp

don't BREAK the tabs on the socket or motherboard is toast

12. AdmSnckbr

AdmSnckbr Member

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE YOUR MOTHERBOARD OUT OF THE CASE.

It will make more work, but in the end you can be sure you won't mess up and stab your motherboard with a screw driver, or rip your socket off of the board.

*waves hand* Trust Divinus *waves hand* With the computer force, smart is he. *waves hand* Weak in the force is DDP, Padawan he is.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  13. ddp

AdmSnckbr, Weak in the force is DDP, Padawan he is.
    don't count on that as i've got a lot more experience on board work than you'll ever do

14. AdmSnckbr

AdmSnckbr Member

Ah, experience, affirmative...commons sense, negative.

Advising someone who possibly has less experience than you to put in a heavy heat sink while their motherboard is in the case negates all experience.

15. bridq

bridq Regular member

My computer is finally fixed! Thank you everyone for your help! I had to drive 4 hours to my friend's house for him to show me how to remove and replace that damn heat sink and apply thermal grease. We put on a volcano/fan and heat sink. Then my power supply started to give me problems; so I bought a new one today. So far everything is running great. Thanks again everyone!!

16. ddp

no problem, teach & learn