1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comp Specifications

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by vitaebank, Apr 24, 2005.

1. vitaebank

vitaebank Guest

Hello Minion,
    Thanks for all the assistance. I like to use the forum mainly for general enquiries as it gives all site visitors who might be experiencing similar difficulties.
    Like i informed you abit earlier, I'm going to do VHS to DVD conversion commercially; as a business.
    Can you please recommend for me specific optimal computer hardware i can use to achieve my goals satisfactorily.
    a) Processor type
    b) Motherboard type
    c) DVD Burner
    d) Good DVD-R discs.

Thank you always, VB

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well this is a Very general Question with a multitude of Correct answers...

"Processor Type?"

Well any Processor Type (Accept a Celeron) as long as it is from 2.0 to 3.0ghz...I would suggest either a P-4 3.0ghz or higher or an Athlon 64 3000+ or Higher But in the Socket 939 Configuration and not the Socket 754 Configuration....

"Motherboard Type?"

Well any Motherboard Type as long as it supports the CPU you are getting...I would Suggest one that supports PCI-Express and SATA and Dual Chanell DDR...Some of the Best Motherboards are Made By Companies Like "Asus,MSI,DFI,Albatron,Tyan" and there are other Good Motherboard Manufacturers...I have an Albatron and it has been the Best motherboard I have owned so far but they are Very expensive but are very Feature rich and very stable....

"DVD Burner?"

Well pretty Much any DVD Burner is as Good as the Next these Days..I have Owned Name Brand DVD Burners and Non Name Brand ones and they all worked equaly well..If money isn"t a problem then a Sony Burner would be a Good Choice, I have owned a Couple Sony Burners and both were very reliable Burners....

"DVD Media"

Well there are so many Different Brands of Media out there it is Hard to know what Brands are good and what brands aren"t so good...Even some Companies will make media in the Same Brand that varies in quality so you never know what you are getting..Ritec usually make some of the Best Media but I have also Bought No Name Media that was Just as Good, Like Right now I am useing No Name 4X DVD-R disks that I picked up for about 0.25c each in Bulk and I haven"t had a Bad Disk yet but I have also Bought Brand Name Media Like Maxell and Memorex which had about a 25% fail rate so you never really know...I suggest tham maybe you buy a few Different Brands and use what seems the Most Reliable.....

Cheers

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

a) A fast one.
    b) One that supports a)
    c) One that burns DVD's.
    d) Ones that burn.
    There is no "best". It's a matter of personal preference.
    Buy the fastest CPU you can afford, and a mobo to support it. Currently the AMD 64 bit CPU's are better and faster at video work than any comparable Intel, cheaper too.