1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compaq 5000z : CPU & Video & DVD Burner upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DmgdUnit, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DmgdUnit

DmgdUnit Member

Yeah, I know I should donate it to the Smithsonian. But I can't just get rid of it. Anyway here's what I'm lookin at:

900 Mhz AMD Duron
    socket A (462)
    100 mhz bus clock
    Board = compaq 07c0h
    System # 5uvme2
    BIOS: compaq 786k8 8/27/2001
    RAM maxed out @ 768 MB

The Question : Will an ATHALON 1400 work in here ?
    Thats socket A and 100 mhz. Any other compatability issues.
    Anyone know where to get outdated CPU's for reasonable price?

Also, whats the best video card this system can handle (with TV out, to use TV for Monitor). It has an AGP Universal slot? (brown-no divider-no retaining connector) maybe pro maybe no.

And I'm guessing a DVD burner with SATA interface and 20x write speeds is out of the question (can you get 20x write speeds with parallel connector?) , but what's the best I could do ?
    Also I was thinking about going water cooled(...just kidding)
    Any and all help is greatly appriciated

2. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

WOW this thing is so old, I donated a P4 2.6GHz machine w/ 1Gb of ram, lol....this is so old I google your motherboard, and this afterdawn thread is the only link that isnt garbage, lol

here is a 20X dvd burner Parrallel connector:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151155

I would just get a cheap PCI graphics card, nothing new.
    your motherboard is so old i cant search it to find its maximum supported FSB speed.

from what I can find: your MB only supports a FSB of 133MHz. Here are some links, verify this data for me.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ftwareitem=33722&product=92943&os=181&lang=en

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/legacy/km133/

3. DmgdUnit

DmgdUnit Member

Thanks for the dvd burner link. The via.com link sounds like my system but the HP link wasn't right, but here is my HP Specs : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00008665&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=239426

There is a couple of optional graphics cards listed there and I'm wondering which is the best one (or something similar or better). DDR should be better than SDR ? And I'm guessing the best one I could get for this thing would be cheap since it's outdated. I would like to get one that has video out to TV to use tv as monitor for movies and possibly as the only monitor if the resolution isnt too crappy.

As far as the FSB goes the RAM I just bought was 133MHz but the mobo might be 200MHz. I ran Belarc Advisor and it said the Bus Clock was
    100MHz but the HP link above said 200FSB. so I'm not 100% sure.

I think the fastest CPU I can put in here is a AMD Athlon 1300 1.2ghz
    if you have any thoughts on that or konw where to get one. I am having no luck finding one.
    Thanks for helpin a noobie out

4. DmgdUnit

DmgdUnit Member

I just wanted to add that I'm not a gamer so I don't really need a cutting edge system. And this is the first computer I've ever gotten that didn't give me some kind of cryptic error messages and freeze from time to time( never had a new system, always someone elses second hand junk). And since this thing works well all the time I'm able to get on the net and learn about how to upgrade & maintain it. If nothing else it's a learning experience. I want to eventually build a new computer piece by piece, but will still keep the compaq as 2nd computer.

Also would like to use AGP graphics card & have you ever had PC hooked up to TV ?