1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compaq Presario 732 US Laptop problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Spider323, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario 732 US laptop and i can't get any electricity to get to it. It happened one day I left my laptop on and went to take a shower. When I got out i saw that the laptops screen went black. I clicked the on button but it wouldn't turn on. I noticed that the light that is supposed to turn green to show that there is an adapter hooked into it wasn't green. I tried plugging and unplugging the adapter into the laptop but it always just gives a small spark and doesnt turn on. There has been many bad things that have happeneed to this laptop. First the store i bought it from "The Wiz" closed down. Then it broke only 2 months after my one year warranty. And now i can't even renew my warrant to get it fixed because Compaq has become a product of HP and they don't support any warranties for this product anymore. I still called Compaqs help line and they kept giving the phone from one person to another because they didn't know what to tell me. I would like to know if there is any way I can fix this laptop? This laptop has been a nightmare for me. I have only had it for a year and two months and payed $1496 dollars for it and it's broken. I really need help fixing this trash.
    Thanks, a lot!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Spider323, Your problem could be as simple as a bad power adapter. You should always start with the easy things first. Your power supply adapter should have the output voltage written on the side somewhere. laptops are usually 9 to 12 volts DC, but check it first. Then find someone with a volt meter and see if it is actually supplying the proper voltage to the end of the plug that goes into the computer. Just because it sparks a little doesn't mean its working. Places like Radio Shack can probably check it for you. If it is bad, you may want to check with Compaq to see if it was the right size supply. If it checks good, you have internal problems which usually means sending it somewhere. I have no connection to Radio Shack but again, most of their stores will fix all brands.
    Jerry