1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing DVD Flick to Nero.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by carrottop, Jan 25, 2010.

1. carrottop

carrottop Member

I just downloaded the DVD Flick program. I printed out the step by steps of how to compile the video and create a menu.

I put three TV shows on my disc and created a menu for it.

For the encoding process, it took over 5 hours! I could have watched the shows on my computer in that length of time.

I burned the project with ImgBurn, then took it to my DVD player and got a "disc contains unknown data" message, my guess is that it has to do with the fact that there was a menu that I created along with the 3 TV shows.

Now when I use Nero Vision express, the encoding still needed to be done, but I had success with it. It took less time to do the encoding, I would guess about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Is DVD Flick really a better program than Nero? Perhaps I made a mistake in the menu making process or something- maybe I should try making a DVD with DVD Flick and NOT have a menu??

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

The menu shouldn't add any appreciable time to the encode,
    I wouldn't have thought more than 10 - 15 minutes.

Hard to judge the 5 hour encoding time, depends on any
    encode settings, etc,etc.

Does the troublesome DVD play properly in the PC ?

Give AVStoDVD a try. It's a nice, free, all-in-one package.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Never encountered that error with DVD Flick, and I made plenty of discs with menus.

Another free program that I like and has better menu options than DVD Flick, is DVDStyler. Works pretty good for me.:

http://www.dvdstyler.de/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. jony218

jony218 Guest

what kind of cpu do you have? 5 hours is too much, I use convertx2dvd and that never takes longer than a hour to encode 2 movies, I doubt 3 movies would be any longer (this is on a amd x2 4800). I've used dvdflick also and didn't notice it being real slow.

The problem with the disc not reading could be the disc is not in the correct format (ntsc instead of pal or vice versa). Open the disc in dvdshrink, if it opens without navigational errors it should be good. You can use VLC player to test your dvd files before you burn them.