1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparison of dvd dl burners

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by kdatta, Dec 31, 2004.

1. kdatta

kdatta Member

Just a quick question: can someone please guide me to some kind of a guide/website/forum when I can get a comparison of the different DL DVD burners that are available on the market now? I have so long been using DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter on a Plextor DVD-R 708A, and successfully backing up DVD9 to DVD-Rs. But more and more movies have 2 layers now, and I would like to get a DL burner, that would allow me to back up without compression. Thanks, and a happy New Year to all.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r for advanced users*

3. wild77

wild77 Guest

If you like your Plextor why not go with there new PX-716 dual layer burner.Dual layer media prices are still on the high side,so I am sticking with my PX-712A for now.Pioneer,BenQ and NEC also make a nice dual layer burner.Anything but Sony,they are responsible for the new encryption that everyone has been talking about.I wouldn't take one if they were giving them away!As for a guide try PC World.com or CDFreaks.com.You might not see the new Plextor as it was one of the last dual layer burners out.

4. kdatta

kdatta Member

Thank you, wild77. I am slightly upset that none of the DVD gurus in this knowledgeable forum bothered to answer earlier, other than moving my message from the "DVD-R for advanced users" forum; I was really looking forward to getting the experts' opinions.

However, after researching a bit about the pioneer DVR-A08XL and the Plextor-716A, both ATAPI drives, I decided to choose the latter and have already ordered it. Though the DL media is quite costly even now, if you are thinking of trying it out, you can get it at cdrdvrmedia.com for about $8.50 each if you buy 5 at a time.